Winners of 2012 Ralph Riggs General Superintendent’s Scholarships choose Evangel

May 23, 2012 | Chase Replogle

Two of Evangel’s incoming freshmen have been honored with the Assemblies of God’s highest academic honor.

Tessa Kilsdonk, of Baker, Montana, and Adam Wood, of Salem, Missouri, are recipients of the 2012 Ralph Riggs General Superintendent’s Scholarships, sponsored by the Assemblies of God Trust. Recipients are selected by a committee of The Alliance of AG Higher Education based on their outstanding academic merit and exemplary community church service, Christian life and personal references. The $30,000 scholarships will be distributed to them over a four-year period.

Tessa Kilsdonk

Tessa Kilsdonk

Tessa Kilsdonk, daughter of Reverend Rod and Lisa Kilsdonk, is a graduate of Baker High School in Baker, Montana. According to her high school guidance counselor, Tessa is “a very dedicated student and a respected leader among the student body.” Tessa says she chose Evangel because she believes the university will help her fulfill her calling to serve God by serving people. “God has instilled a passion in my life for women and children who are enslaved,” she says.

“At Evangel, I will not only earn a degree that will allow me to work among those still searching for God, but I will also be challenged to mature spiritually. Evangel is where God has called me, to further equip me to help others find their place in God’s family.”

Adam Wood, son of Shea and Sally Wood, is a graduate of Salem High School in Salem, Missouri. Academically, he ranks first in his senior class.

Adam Wood

Adam Wood

“From the time I was young, I knew I wanted to go to Evangel,” Adam says. “But as my senior year started, I knew I would need a financial miracle for the door to be opened. When we received a call from AGTrust and they informed me that I was a recipient of the General Superintendent’s Scholarship, I felt so relieved and honored. It is such a blessing to know that the finances are in place. I am happy to be a part of the Assemblies of God, and I am grateful that AGTrust honors education from a godly Christian standpoint.”

The scholarship was named for the Rev. Ralph M. Riggs, who is considered a pioneer of education in the Assemblies of God. It was Riggs who spearheaded the movement that led to the creation of Evangel University in 1955. The Riggs Hall administration building on Evangel’s campus is named for him. Read more about Riggs and the history of Evangel.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics