Current student and EU grad find bond through broadcast journalism

July 14, 2012 | Valorie Coleman

Evangel senior Mehleena Edmonds shares an enthusiasm for life with her mentor and high school broadcast journalism instructor Dave Davis.

Davis has taught at Hillcrest High School in Springfield, Missouri, for 30 years and is a 1982 graduate of Evangel.

Edmonds now works for Davis in the summers, putting on workshops through The Academy of Scholastic Broadcasting (ASB). Through the academy, which was begun in 2000, Davis provides training workshops and materials for broadcast teachers and students nationwide.

Rolling workshops are available in the form of bus tours. The 2012 summer tour took 13 teachers from across the country on an intense, hands-on learning experience to Nashville, Tennessee. Edmonds served as senior staff.

“I’ve learned so much from this man,” she says of Davis, a baseball coach and English teacher turned self-taught broadcast journalist.

“Coach taught us, it’s all about the story,” she says. “If you don’t have a good story, you don’t have anything.”

“I got tired of teaching English,” Davis says. “I knew we could do a TV show at Hillcrest. I knew how to tell a story,” he says. “So I rolled up my sleeves and learned the technology right alongside my students.”

The same sort of energy and passion for new experiences drives Edmonds. One could say she has already changed careers a couple of times.

She made a smooth transition from high school broadcasting into Evangel’s public relations office. She also is a Social Work major and has kept busy during her university career volunteering in the community, serving as a resident assistant  and completing an internship with Lost and Found Grief Center this summer.

The mentoring provided to her by Davis was a springboard. “The way Coach Davis runs ASB, the way he builds relationships with teachers, the way he cares about what he does – this inspires me to always push myself.

“Coach is never OK with mediocre. He has instilled in me a passion for the extraordinary,” Edmonds says.

PHOTO CAPTION: Mehleena Edmonds found inspiration from high school instructor and Evangel grad Dave Davis. He has led HTV Magazine (Hillcrest High School’s television news program) in capturing numerous national awards including the National Student Television “Award for Excellence” (seven times), Robert F. Kennedy High School Journalism Award (six times), Channel One “Number One Newscast” (three times) and NSPA Broadcast Pacemaker (11 times).

— Valorie Coleman, Assistant Director of Public Relations for Evangel University

Join the celebration for Homecoming 2014

Homecoming button