Local news personalities to host annual Christmas Concert at Evangel University

December 4, 2012 | Evangel University News

Traditions are important, especially around the holidays.

The Evangel University Department of Music will present its 29th Annual Christmas Concert on Friday evening, December 7, at 7:45 p.m. in the Chapel auditorium.

It’s an event that has become a popular holiday tradition for many in the Springfield area.

Hosting the festivities for the sixth year will be Evangel graduates Steve Grant and Brandon Beck, two members of the KY3 News Team (the local NBC affiliate).

Their witty banter has become a fun tradition for EU’s Christmas concert audience.

“It’s a great opportunity to put to use the chemistry we’ve developed on air, over the many years that we’ve been together on KY3,” says Grant, a 1976 alumnus. “It’s fun to work with someone who can finish your thoughts.”

While the two have a shared Evangel background, Beck is quick to point out, “Steve graduated when I was just 2 years old.”

As enjoyable as the banter is, it’s the music that brings them back year after year.

“Why do I do it? It’s like coming home — I enjoy seeing old friends, and I love Christmas music,” says Grant.

“More importantly, it is an honor to be part of a concert where so much talent is on display. This is one of my greatest memories of Evangel,” he added. “I don’t know of anyplace else that has so much God-given talent and a faculty that knows how to call out that talent.”

A musician himself, Beck agrees. “I love music, and every year, I come away amazed. It’s like, ‘Good grief, this is good!’”

The program will include performances by the Evangel University Orchestra, Chorale, Chorus, Jazz Orchestra, Handbells and Marching Band Drumline. Special guests will be the Boys Choir of Springfield.

“It’s an honor to have a small part in tying together the great performances,” Grant says. “But it makes me wish I had listened to my parents and practiced my piano more.”

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics