Evangel senior found his life’s passion in music

December 27, 2012 | Paul K. Logsdon

Imagine standing on the field in the Edward Jones Dome, with the St. Louis Rams just a few feet away and 60,000 people in the stands. That would be cool.

Now imagine you are about to direct the Boys Choir of Springfield there, as they sing the National Anthem on national TV.

For Colin Knoth, that was very cool.

Colin is a senior Music Education major at Evangel University with a very interesting story. Even though he’s played the piano since he was 4, he told people he couldn’t sing. “I never even tried singing until I needed a class without homework during my sophomore year of high school,” he says. It was then that he joined his first choir. “My teacher was very encouraging and really helped to instill confidence in me.”

The next year, he transferred to Kickapoo High School in Springfield, Missouri, and his life was transformed.

“Alberta Smith and Nathan Cornelius were my two high school choral directors. They helped ignite a love for music in me that steered me in the right direction,” Colin says.

The Evangel experience

Colin Knoth

Colin Knoth is an Evangel University senior from Springfield, Missouri. He is majoring in Music Education.

At Evangel, Colin has excelled under the mentorship of the university’s music faculty.

“My freshman year here, I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life,” he says. “Now, in my senior year, I am finishing a degree in Music Education, I’m serving as president of the Concert Choir, and I’m involved with the spring musical production of You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown.”

In December alone, he was able to conduct the EU Concert Choir at Silver Dollar City, the Boys Choir of Springfield at a St. Louis Rams game, and the EU Handbells during the 29th Annual Celebration of Christmas concert.

“God has blessed me so much and has placed the right people in my life along the way to shape my future. If I had not come to Evangel, I would not have had nearly the same amount of opportunities and experiences that I have had,” he says.

The NFL experience

Colin’s community volunteer work with the Boy’s Choir of Springfield opened the door to the Rams experience. Boy’s Choir director and Evangel alumnus Mark Lawley had a conflict on that December 2 game day.

“Be safe. Have fun! You will knock it out of the dome,” encouraged Lawley, a 1989 Evangel graduate.

Closer to game time, Lawley texted Colin an encouraging message: “I’ll be praying. God has heard your every word and sensed your worry. Step into it — He will meet you. Trust. Lean. He will be with you. His gifting is at work in you! Go shine!”

Boys Choir of Springfield

The National Anthem is sung by the Boys Choir of Springfield prior to a NFL football game against the San Francisco 49ers on December 2, 2012 in St. Louis. The Rams won in overtime, 16-13 (Photo by G. Newman Lowrance/St. Louis Rams)

“These texts gave me much confidence,” says Colin. “Once we were on the field and in the moment, I felt no worry and not the slightest hint of nervousness. I prayed that the Lord would use this platform to let His light shine, and He blessed us with an amazing performance. It was a moment I will never forget.”

So what was it like to perform there?

“With their right hands on their hearts, the boys sang perfectly,” Knoth says. “It was hard to keep a smile off my face.”

And the topper?

“As we were walking off of the field, a few of the Rams players were giving high fives and handshakes to the boys. The look on their faces was priceless.”

“Teaching is it for me,” Knoth says. “My dream job is to direct a high school choir. I want to influence students’ lives for the better through music, in the same way that I’ve been changed by my teachers in high school and at Evangel.”

– Paul K. Logsdon, director of public relations for Evangel University

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics