Dr. Glenn Bernet celebrates 50th anniversary at Evangel

January 31, 2013 | Paul K. Logsdon

As Evangel’s president, Dr. Robert H. Spence, presented the dean with his 50th Anniversary pin, he said, “There is only one of these, and we don’t anticipate needing another for a long, long time.”

The occasion was a Tower Club banquet in honor of Springfield native Dr. Glenn H. Bernet, Evangel’s vice president for academic affairs and dean of the university. Faculty, staff, family and friends gathered to celebrate on January 18, 2013.

“I wanted to work at Evangel from the time it opened,” says Bernet. “In fact, I was the Boy Scout who played the trumpet for the flag raising, at the dedication of Evangel College in 1955.”

Bernet began his service to Evangel in 1963 teaching math in the Science and Technology Department. He assumed the role of dean in 1985.

But it is the story of his hiring that he enjoys telling most.

Dr. Bernet's party

A 1960s-themed party was held in the cafeteria on January 18, 2013, to celebrate Dr. Bernet’s service with the students and campus family. These administrative assistants got into the spirit with their ’60s garb.

“I was about to start the last semester of my master’s program at Mizzou when I visited with Evangel’s dean, Ward Williams, over Christmas break,” says Bernet. “I told him I would love to teach at Evangel after I graduated.”

Little did Bernet know that Evangel’s one full-time math teacher had just resigned, or that Williams would offer him the job on the spot. Bernet started teaching at Evangel in January, while completing his master’s program in Columbia.

During his time at Evangel, Bernet has seen the enrollment increase nearly four-fold. Under his leadership, the college earned university status and added both master’s and adult degree-completion programs.

Bernet is married to his childhood sweetheart, Lois (Evans) Bernet, whom he met in the first grade at Bowerman Elementary.

They have three grown children, all of whom attended Evangel: Rob Bernet (’86), Julie Leoni and Susan Tolbert (’93). Susan’s husband Todd (’94) also is an Evangel graduate.

“I am a very fortunate man to have been able to work at my dream job for my entire professional career,” says Bernet.

Paul K. Logsdon, director of public relations

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024