Evangel grads ride to success with world-renowned elevator company

September 19, 2013 | Kim Jeyaraj

One year after becoming the first Evangel grad to be recruited by Otis Elevator Company, Rebecca Carpenter has earned the nickname, “The Recruiter.”

Carpenter, a 2012 Evangel University graduate, is a networker by nature. Before attending a college career fair during her senior year, she created extraordinary, targeted portfolios for specific businesses scheduled to be in attendance. The preparation paid off. She was able to secure interviews with several major companies, including one with Otis, the world’s leading manufacturer, installer and maintainer of elevators, escalators and moving walkways.

The interviews went well, and Carpenter was offered a lucrative position with the company as service account manager before she graduated.

Following commencement, she headed to Dallas to train with Otis Elevator Company.

During her first year of employment, Carpenter’s determination and perseverance landed her a promotion to territory manager for Austin and San Antonio, Texas.

“After coming aboard with Otis, I asked if I could recruit for them at Evangel, but I was informed that Otis only recruits from D1 state schools,” she says. “When I asked how they found me if that was the case, they told me, ‘We had a layover in Joplin and decided to drive down, so we didn’t waste time in the airport.”

“I was the only person they had ever recruited from Evangel, so I know this was God.”

Ripple effect

God’s hand has been on Carpenter’s life all along, working through Professor Bernie Dana to bring her to the Evangel. She transferred to the University in order to grow in her faith and to learn business from a Christian perspective. In a meeting with Carpenter during this important time of transition, Dana prayed with her.

Natalie Nordstrom

Natalie Nordstrom, a 2013 Evangel grad, has been selected as a sales representative for Otis through her connection to Rebecca Carpenter.

“No one in my life had ever prayed for me like he did,” Carpenter says. She continues to maintain relationships with her professors who help her connect with aspiring graduates.

“Otis needs students from universities like Evangel,” she says. “We bring a different perspective and outlook to the job.”

Natalie Nordstrom, a 2013 Evangel graduate, has been connected with the Otis Elevator Company through Carpenter. Nordstrom is currently in a six-month intense training program in Tennessee. She has been selected as the sales representative for the Knoxville region.

“Rebecca told Dr. Dennis Wubbena, professor of marketing, to let her know about any candidates that would be eligible for this position,” Nordstrom says. “He was my connection to her and to the company. He called the HR director and told Otis they should hire me.”

Nordstrom found Wubbena’s classes to be challenging.

“His classes at Evangel always challenged me. He struck a competitive nerve in me that made me try harder in his classes than in any other,” she says.

Now the same motivation that powered Nordstrom’s success at Evangel is being put to the test on the field with Otis Elevator.

“The first couple of months have been a whirlwind,” Nordstrom says. “Every week I have a conference call where I present to a group of supervisors what I have learned for the week. It can be intimidating trying to explain the operation and installation of our elevators to highly trained, well-seasoned elevator professionals. Last week I took on explaining how the DC motor of a traction elevator works and functions.”

Carpenter relates to the concept of being stretched to the maximum of one’s capabilities.

“I never dreamed that one year after graduation I would find myself in this position,” Carpenter says. “It has come with sacrifice, determination, little sleep and most importantly, God’s favor. Every day I am faced with a task that seems impossible, that I’m not capable of completing. However, right as the fear and anxiety kick in, faithfully so does the training I received at Evangel.”

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson