Evangel University senior lands job with BKD

October 8, 2013 | Valorie Coleman

Accounting majors at Evangel University know the competitive nature of their chosen field. They begin preparing résumés, networking, attending job fairs and even interviewing with potential employers as they complete their college studies, during their junior and senior years.

These efforts have paid off for Evangel University accounting major Rachel Sirois. After she graduates in the spring of 2014, she will begin work as a full-time staff accountant with BKD, LLP, a national CPA and advisory firm based in Springfield.

“Rachel networked and took advantage of opportunities to meet with recruiters — from more than one firm — before job hunting time actually came around,” said associate professor of accounting Becky Rhoades. “When it was time for her to look for employment, she actually heard from a recruiter that she had met in a business social setting.”

“I was well aware of how competitive accounting positions are and how early accounting firms hire students, so I took senior seminar as a junior to get a head start,” Sirois said. “It allowed me to perfect my résumé and do several mock interviews.”

Over the years, BKD has sponsored a generous scholarship for Evangel’s accounting majors. Sirois was one the recipients of this award for the 2013-14 academic year. Bernie Dana, business department chair, said that Sirois’ diligence and her decision to take advantage of internship opportunities helped her obtain the scholarship and acquire a position with BKD.

“Rachel has worked as an intern for AG Financial Solutions, also here in Springfield, in the areas of customer service and accounting,” Dana said. “She gained experience that enhanced her ability to secure the position with BKD.”

“I know that accounting is what I was called to do, and I plan on giving it all I have and learning as much as possible,” Sirois said. “In 10 years I would hope to be close to becoming a partner in an accounting firm. My dream is to eventually be the CFO for a professional sports team.”

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson