Recent Evangel graduate finds adventure teaching in Montana

December 19, 2013 | Valorie Coleman

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it — especially if you have a big dream, proper preparation and the Internet. Kelsie Haggard, a 2013 Evangel University graduate, had a vision of becoming a teacher and had always felt a strange allure to the wilderness of Montana. Her vision is now a reality. While completing her final semester at Evangel last spring, she began searching for her first teaching job. “I was filling out applications online for teaching positions in Montana,” she says. “Within just a couple of hours, I received two phone calls. Both of those phone calls produced scheduled interviews, and both interviews produced job offers.”

Kelsie Haggard class

Teaching in Montana is a dream for this 2013 Evangel grad.

Haggard accepted a second grade teaching position in Savage. “I have no family in Montana, and I had never even driven through the state, so this is a big adventure for me,” she says. “Evangel prepared me so well. It has been easy transitioning from teaching 25 kids to only teaching 11.  Even things I learned outside of the classroom have helped me here — all of my work with different technologies, the relationship building that took place — I have had to call on those skills.” Her desire to teach is more than a career choice. For Haggard, it is a calling about which she is passionate. “I feel very strongly that the only way out of poverty is through education,” she says. “My ultimate goal is to utilize my dual majors of Elementary Education and Intercultural Studies. I want to start a nonprofit organization that sends teachers into small villages in Africa (and other parts of the world) to train native teachers.” For now, however, the rugged terrain and white Christmas of Montana is the life for her. “This is a blink-and-you-miss-it town, but you don’t want to miss it because it is unique and special,” Haggard says. “I love my life here. I think that this could be a town that I settle into permanently.”

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson