Parent perspective: How a caring, considerate campus softened our family’s college transition

March 4, 2014 | Cheryl Wong

Time was running short and there was so much to do. Have I taught her everything she needs to know? Doing laundry, making smart food choices, being wise in relationships, and so much more? Will she be okay out on her own? What if she gets sick? I know that these are some of the thoughts running through your mind because I had the same ones not too long ago. It’s getting close to the time for your child to leave the safe and protected nest to go away to college.

College … the time where so much adventure awaits, so many decisions to make and so much money to pay. The college experience was beckoning to my precious child.

We found out about Evangel University through a picture on Facebook — a friend of mine, from my college days, had an Evangel t-shirt on. After both my daughter and I did some research we decided to visit Evangel. During our visit to the campus we were very impressed with the whole experience. We came with questions we knew and many we didn’t know. Each person we met with, from students to staff, was extremely helpful.

They were patient with the mom who was trying to let go of her child, and the young adult who was ready for the adventure.

One of our greatest concerns was how we would pay for college, so we met with a financial aid counselor. The sensitive issue of paying for college was welcomed and addressed. We knew that if this was the place for our daughter it would take hard work on her end and ours to make that happen, and Evangel walked us through that process.

Quickly we could see that the Evangel University campus functioned a lot like a family. People were kind to each other and patient. We could see smiles, laughter and seriousness of academics at the same time. I knew that this could possibly be the place my child would call home for the next several years.

Today we are planning our daughter’s graduation from Evangel University this May. Where did the time go, and who is this amazing young woman that Evangel helped to cultivate? I will do my best to put into words what we have seen be developed in her while she has been at EU. Strong, confident, sensitive, leader, friend, humble, loving, and amazing are just a few of the words that I would use to describe my daughter. My husband and I have seen her grow in so many ways over the last several years.

I can’t say enough about the University that cares about her as a person and not just a number. They have instituted programs to help build her strengths, they have encouraged growth in her faith and she has come out stronger, they have challenged her academically so that she can pursue a career in her chosen field, and she has developed friendships that she will carry for the rest of her life.

As you are planning and looking ahead to the decisions that need to be made over the next several months for the future of your child, I encourage you to look at all Evangel University has to offer but also look at what your child has to offer to Evangel. Together, we really are stronger. Oh, and don’t forget to have your child apply for every scholarship they can! It can be done! May God bless you in letting go of one of your most precious treasures — it will be worth it!

Cheryl Wong is married to Brian Wong and they are the proud parents of Shannyn Wong, an Advertising/Public Relations major, and Ashlyn Wong, a college freshmen. The Wong family is from Loveland, Colorado.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics