Business professor honored with highest faculty award for excellence at Evangel

May 12, 2014 | Anna Lester

Former business executive Bernie Dana learned the hard way about the grueling nature of the teaching profession, when he came to Evangel in 2001.

“I came here to teach 13 years ago, thinking I was semi-retiring from my hard work and long hours as a corporate executive,” Dana said. “My teaching experience was limited mostly to corporate and public seminars. To put it bluntly, I was naive about classroom teaching, even though I had served on the EU board of directors for 16 years.”

His efforts, however, are paying off.

Dana, chair of the business department, is the 2014 recipient of Evangel University’s E.M. and Estella Clark Award for Excellence in Teaching, Scholarship and Service.

The nominations for the award are made by students, faculty and staff — a pool of people who have grown to appreciate his contribution to Evangel and to their lives personally.

Dana, a 1967 graduate of Evangel, invested most of his career in the long-term care profession. He retired as executive V.P. of Vetter Health Services, based in Omaha, Neb., an organization with 32 care facilities in a five-state region.

During his career, Dana served for 16 years on Evangel’s board of directors, and before that, as president of the EU Alumni Association. He received the Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1996.

“Bernie Dana brings his knowledge, experience and wisdom to the classroom,” said Dr. Glenn Bernet, provost and V.P. for academic affairs. “Since coming to Evangel, he has authored a book, published articles and been innovative in his teaching. As business department chair, he goes far beyond the call of duty to care for our students, direct our business programs and serve as mentor to students and faculty.”

“It is a privilege to be able to invest in the lives of the students each day,” Dana said.  “I am deeply honored to be selected from such an amazing group of educators with degrees and abilities far beyond my own.”

Find your schedule for EU Launch 2014

Launch_movein1

2