Advertising major lands summer internship in Washington, D.C.

June 9, 2014 | Valorie Coleman

Evangel University junior Hannah Beers has known for a while that she wanted to work in the nation’s capitol. This summer, she got a head start on the dream.

Beers worked the month of May in the office of Rep. Jason Smith from Missouri’s Eighth District. She is from this district and helped work on Smith’s campaign for Congress. She also worked in his office for a week in the spring as part of the Evangel University Washington Studies Program.

Her unique blend of communication and government courses (she is an Advertising and Public Relations major, a Government/Legal Studies minor) have made her a perfect candidate for working on Capitol Hill.

“Some of my duties included writing constituent correspondence, talking with constituents by phone, running errands and giving tours of the Capitol,” Beers says. “Because of my background in communication, I have a unique skill set.

“Little did I know that my brief time in D.C. would give me ‘Potomac Fever,’” she says. “There is absolutely nothing like walking up The Hill and having coffee on a bench directly in front of the Capitol — the place that history is made every single day. As for my career, I definitely plan on spending a few years here after graduation. I then would like to run for office myself. Influencing people’s lives is what I’m passionate about. I try to do that in any way that I can.”

Beers is trying to take in the flood of information and experience she is receiving this summer. So far, that knowledge simply equates to more passion.

“People should educate themselves, not just read headlines. Invest some time into understanding the monumental things that happen around here every day,” Beers says.

Her monthlong stay hasn’t been solely about heavy-hitting issues. Beers loves the rhythm of the city and the sites she takes in every day.

“In the afternoon, I review legislation and often give tours. I love giving tours. There’s nothing like seeing peoples’ eyes light up when they see the Capitol’s interior.”

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024