Evangel graduate puts degree to work designing touchscreen applications at ESPN

July 7, 2014 | Valorie Coleman

Vanna Bushong is a 2010 graduate of Evangel University. She is the mastermind behind some of the graphics you see on ESPN. She is humble. She is straightforward. And she is on an incredible trajectory with a bright career ahead of her.

Bushong is currently employed at ESPN in the Bristol, Connecticut office, and her job title is Project – Coordinating Designer.

“I am a touchscreen developer,” Bushong says. “The on-air hosts stand in front of the large touchscreens and draw on them or interact with them in some way. I write the code to give those screens their appearance and to make them work.”

After graduating Evangel with a double major in Computer Science and Marketing, Bushong earned a master’s degree in computer science from UCLA. She also has completed some impressive internships.

“After graduating from Evangel, I was able to do an internship at Spindustry Digital in Des Moines, Iowa,” she said. “I learned how to build websites. After that, I was an interface developer at Duck Creek Technologies. That prepared me for everything I’ve done since. All my work has dealt with users and how you interact with software.

“During my internship at Dolby Laboratories in California, I was able to be part of a research team that was working to develop software that film editors would use in post-production to mix frame rates,” Bushong said. “All of these projects have fallen into my goal — to develop software people can use and enjoy.”

There were a couple of bumps in the road, moments when the path did not seem so clear. What she has learned so far, she is willing to share:

“I didn’t want to leave California,” she said, “but nothing was working out. All of a sudden ESPN came along, and it was my dream job! Let God do the planning.”

For fellow technology grads, “In computer science, you need to be very self-motivated and self-taught. Continue learning beyond what you’re given. Stay on top of the latest developments. It’s a life-long learning thing.”

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024