Evangel University celebrates its place in Assemblies of God history
July 28, 2014 | Valorie Coleman
The Assemblies of God is celebrating 100 years.
As the national, comprehensive university of the Assemblies of God, we’ve shared many moments in this rich history.
Thousands of ministers and missionaries have gone out from Evangel, Central Bible College and the Assemblies of God Theological Seminary to preach the gospel.
Their efforts, in the face of the uncharted and unknown, have contributed to the expansion of Christianity across the globe. They had a calling, a passion, a sense of urgency that carried them on. They are still being called…and they still go.
At Evangel, all of our students are encouraged and equipped for their callings, be it in a church setting or a boardroom, classroom or operating room. These trained professionals allow their God-centered worldview to permeate everything they do, informing their work in whatever fields they choose and bringing Christ to every corner of society. These leaders have a drive, a vision, a sense of urgency that carries them on.
Some of the themes being celebrated as part of the AG Centennial are those of church planting, compassion and justice, the persecuted church, reigniting the Great Commission, transforming local communities from the inside out, the relevancy of the Bible, worship and more. Those in attendance at the services in Springfield, Missouri will hear the amazing testimonies of some of the most renowned speakers, lay leaders, evangelists and pastors of our time.
They will speak to inform, to instill, to inspire.
We wanted to take this moment, a moment 100 years in the making, and highlight just a few of our students and graduates who not only honor our past, but are forging boldly ahead into the future. They embody these themes of relevancy, compassion, hope and justice. They are changing their communities with lives that inform, instill and inspire.
- Rebecca Grant Shults, a 2004 Evangel University graduate, grew up with a unique global perspective as the daughter of the founders of Project Rescue. At age 16, Rebecca was exposed to the needs of hurting and oppressed women affected by sex trafficking. She now envisions a lifetime of service to those in need of hope through Rescue Arts, a method she developed for facilitating healing in trauma survivors in India.
- Herbert Cooper earned his Biblical Studies degree from Evangel in 1997. He has grown from an enthusiastic Evangel student to an impassioned church planter. He gives consistent guidance to thousands of people each week through the two locations of his church, The People’s Church, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and his vision does not stop there.
- When you read about recent AGTS Ph.D. graduate Dick Brogden, you will sense the compassion in his heart for Muslims in the Middle East. He has already impacted thousands of Christians, too, empowering and challenging them to pray for the lost in The Live Dead Journal.
- Mark Batterson is a product of the spiritual atmosphere that was present at Central Bible College. He earned his Bible degree there in 1992 and eventually planted a church in theaters around Washington D.C. His story will encourage you, while showcasing the relevancy of the Bible in our nation’s capital today.
We have a presence at the conference as well, so if you are in Springfield August 6-10, stop by and see us at our booth in the John Q. Hammons Student Center or on our campus at 1111 North Glenstone Ave.
We would love to talk with you about how Evangel University can help equip and prepare you to make your mark on the future, for the cause of Christ around the world.
- Academic Affairs
- Adult Studies
- Alumni Relations
- Bible and Theology
- Church Ministries
- Church Ministries, Missions and Theology
- Community Life
- Enrollment Management
- Enrollment Marketing
- Graduate Studies
- Intercultural Studies
- Natural and Applied Sciences
- Office of Retention
- President's Office
- Public Relations
- Spiritual Life
- Student Development
- Student Life
- Undergraduate Studies
- University Advancement
- University Relations