Center of Campus F'11

Allow me to Introduce myself

February 10th, 2012 | Ian Richardson

Hi there! My name is Ian Richardson. I’m a second-semester freshman from the tiny town of Afton, Iowa. Some of my hobbies are running, playing piano, reading, writing and watching movies.

One semester into my college career, I’ve learned a lot of important things, like how to survive with a roommate, which foods to eat in the cafeteria, and how not to get lost driving to church. I have to admit, I’ve had to make a few adjustments. This college campus has over twice the population of my hometown, and I’m still getting used to the fact that Springfield has, well, stoplights.

All of these changes have come in stride, however, and I am finding that this place really feels like home.

Why exactly did I choose to attend Evangel? Well, my dream has always been to write for a career. As I progressed through high school and started looking at colleges, I decided that I wanted to attend a university where I wouldn’t just learn the skills I needed to make money, but where I would also learn how to incorporate my faith into my career. My parents suggested I check out Evangel, so I looked it up online. I was amazed by all the choices they offered. Evangel had all of the majors I was interested in, plus plenty of hands-on opportunities like a TV station, student-directed films, a newspaper, and the list went on. Everything seemed right up my alley. I decided then that Evangel was where I wanted to go.

When I visited campus the fall of my senior year, it was like putting the cherry on top of an ice cream sundae. It is one thing to look at Evangel on the internet, but to actually be here and feel the welcoming atmosphere cemented that this was where I was supposed to be.

So, fast forward a year and a half. Here I am, studying English and film, working a desk job at the TV station, contributing articles to the newspaper, and blogging on the university web site. But I’m finding Evangel to be much more than just a university. It is a fantastic environment for God to mold you into what He wants you to be for the rest of your life, and I am excited to see what He has in store.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

Join the celebration for Homecoming 2014

Homecoming button