Spiritual Life at Evangel

Growing up

February 15th, 2012 | Shannyn Wong

Adjusting to college life is a process that is exciting, scary and nerve-racking all at the same time. I transferred into Evangel as a sophomore in the fall of 2011, and since that time my growth (academically, spiritually and personally) has surpassed any expectations that I might have held prior to coming to Evangel.

Each class presents its challenges in different ways, but the thing that makes every class the same is the chance for academic growth. This spring semester has provided plenty of opportunities for me to grow and be stretched out of my comfort zone. Evangel has created an environment where students get the opportunity to have hands-on experience in the field they are studying. I am learning new things, being challenged with my course work and making new friends.

Being on my own, I have had the chance to make my relationship with Christ my own. I have been challenged to go deeper in my walk through my professors, chapel services and my peers. Most of my professors open up classes with prayer, and that has shown me that my professors truly care about my academic and spiritual life. I have seen God do amazing things through the prayer of my classmates throughout the year, and that has strengthened my commitment to Christ. The Chapel services have also played a role in my growth at Evangel. Chapels allow me to get personal with God and express my worship to Him. It also allows my spirit to be fed throughout the school week.

I have had the best experiences growing academically and spiritually, but I have seen the most growth in my personal life. Attending Evangel has allowed me to break away from my parents and experience life on my own (in a safe environment). Every time I am asked how college is going my response is always the same: “I have learned so much and have grown in ways that I never thought possible.” I have enjoyed every part of my time at Evangel, and look forward to all that God has planned for my future.

Shannyn Wong

Advertising and Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Shannyn is an Advertising/Public Relations major from Loveland, Colorado. She is an RA in Lewis Hall. She encourages prospective students to seek God’s will for college.