Founders Day

Founders Day — After the interviews

February 23rd, 2012 | Ian Richardson

Anticipation fluttering beneath my shirt-and-tie exterior, along with butterflies, sweaty palms, racing heartbeat and shaking nerves.

I couldn’t help but remember these feelings as I sat in the cafeteria a week ago, eavesdropping on the final moments of the Founders Day breakfast ceremony. Several times throughout the day I spied the well-dressed candidates, and each moment whisked me back to when I was in their shoes last year. As I reminisced, I could feel a nostalgic grin creeping from one cheek to the other.

After my final interview last February, I remember being so satisfied and at peace about the entire Founders experience. A few long weeks later, I remember the disappointment as I learned that I was not selected for any of the scholarships. I wondered why I was not good enough. Why had they not chosen me? What had I done wrong?

As things turned out, I eventually did end up with one of the half-tuition scholarships, just not the traditional way. One of the recipients had turned it down, and I had been selected as an alternate. But what I have taken away from Founders Day is so much more than financial aid. My life is so much richer because of people I met, and the relationships that I have formed based on connections during that experience. God also used those 24 hours to reinforce my realization that Evangel was the perfect place for me.

Another Founders Day has come and gone, so some of you are reading this during the hardest part of the process – the waiting. The most important thing to remember is that God was there through the interviews, and He will be there when the final selections are made. Not getting a scholarship doesn’t mean you’re “not good enough,” or that someone is “better than you.” God is forming you into the person He wants you to be, and His plans do not succeed or fail based on one scholarship.

Founders recipient, Founders candidate or not Founders at all, in every situation God wants us to look past the surface and see the blessings that so often evade our perception. Even when things don’t work like we want, how can we grow because of them? Every experience has something to offer, whether it is a lesson, relationship, or a moment to draw closer to Him. Sometimes we just need to open our eyes.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

Celebrating 100 years, impacting 100 more

100

Find your schedule for EU Launch 2014

IgNight_studentsonLawn