Evangel Chapel

Living like Him

March 30th, 2012 | Lauren Simms

The guest speaker stood at the podium today in Chapel and said, “life within God’s kingdom consists of learning from Jesus how to live your life as if He were you.”

As he went on to speak further, my mind focused on that specific statement. I thought of Romans 5:8; “God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (NIV).” I thought of the depth to those truthful and meaningful words, and thought to myself, “how does someone go through life without Jesus?” I know one thing is positive; I’d be nothing without Him. He’s the one who I talk to in my car on the way to the grocery store, and the one I sing to during a worship melody. His word is what I seek when I need guidance, encouragement, and advice; it’s what I seek every day. He is who I look to when I need to be reminded of His love for me. At all times – good or bad, night or day -He’s the one I follow, the one I love, and the one I desperately seek.

Today, the sun beamed across campus and cast light on the spring-colored tulips. Still, I find myself thinking about Chapel and the message that was spoken. I think of Jesus taking my place and walking through the halls of Trask and Zimmerman. I can only imagine that He would be as bright as the sun, with a smile that would welcome each person He passes. His eyes would be pure as He studied the cross that holds prominence on top of the clock tower. His heart and passion for others would be visible, even if He never spoke a syllable.

I make mistakes daily, and am not alone worthy of God’s love. However, I was saved by the One who erased all of my sins; the one who died on a symbolic cross. I was made whole by my Father, Jesus Christ. In Sidewalk Profits’ song, “Live Like That,” the lyrics hold true; People pass and even if they don’t know my name, is there evidence that I’ve been changed? When they see me, do they see You? I want to live like that and give it all I have, so that everything I say and do points to You.

Each day, I strive to be more like God. As I hold His hand and walk through life, I’ll remind myself of this … “if God is for me, then who can stand against?”

Lauren Simms

Communication Studies Major | Class of 2013

Lauren, a Communication Studies major, is a commuter student from Springfield, Missouri. She is a work-study for Marketing Enrollment, a member of a START team, and an EU Student Host. She encourages students to study hard, get involved and enjoy every minute.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics