planting-seeds

Grow where you’re planted

May 20th, 2012 | Ian Richardson

Summer has arrived at last. My summer job has started, and I have begun my summer reading list. Most of all, I am enjoying lots of quality time with my family. Yes, summer break is an amazing time of the year. However, I can’t head into this new season without taking a moment to reflect on where I was a year ago at this time—about to begin probably the strangest summer of my life.

Accepted to Evangel in the fall, I ended my high school career already excited about taking the next step. I was also quite nervous. I could see that in a few short months I would experience a dramatic change as I relocated from southwestern Iowa to Springfield, Missouri. Until that point I had lived in the same town my whole life; I had gone to the same church and had never lived away from my parents for an extended period of time. I was ready to embark on this new adventure, but I still had to settle my nerves and get through the summer.

While I did enjoy my break from school, I could never seem to shake an underlying feeling of restlessness. I knew that my future awaited somewhere other than where I was at the moment, and that made the waiting frustrating. Home will always be where my family is, but that summer I felt like I didn’t belong, like I was out of place in my own hometown.

This strange season of my life taught me that while periods of transition can be hard, it is important to live them to the fullest and not let them slip by. There is a phrase that my Mom used as I was adjusting to life here at Evangel that really put everything in perspective. She simply said, “Grow where you’re planted.” I love this because it gives such a great word picture. The fact is that we are all seeds planted somewhere. We may be here for a short time or a long time before we are transplanted somewhere else, but God wants us to spread out our roots and grow regardless of the situation. Being willing to embrace every season of life, including those annoying waiting periods and transitional times, is a great mentality to have.

I am so thankful for where God planted me this school year. Evangel has helped me grow in so many different facets of life. Though I will be home only for the summer, I am excited to see what God has for me there as well. Whatever season of life you may be entering this week or month, whether it is a period of transition or not, I encourage you to spread your roots and enjoy what God has for you in the here and now. Grow where you’re planted, and have a great summer.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

2