English Education

The perplexing process of picking a major

August 7th, 2012 | Ian Richardson

With its offering of more than 100 academic programs, you can study just about anything at Evangel University. The only problem is that you eventually have to choose something. Deciding on a major is a big decision — an important decision — a hard decision. I speak from experience. During the course of about six months during my first year, I changed majors three times.

People tell you to study something you enjoy. Well, throughout my life I’ve always enjoyed reading, writing and watching movies. I’ve played piano for more than a decade, and I love listening to music. I also have a thing for history. Science fascinates me, and math is okay too.

Unfortunately, I quickly realized that I couldn’t choose Reading-Writing-Film-Music-History-Science-Math as my major area of study on my college application. My interest in writing eventually won out, and I decided to major in Journalism. However, I quickly changed my mind to Film, setting my sights on a career in screenwriting. However, about halfway through my first semester as a Film major, I realized that most of the technical aspects of filmmaking held no interest with me.

I began to realize that all along my main interest was simply in stories and writing. The English program was where I belonged. Now I have switched departments and am working toward an English major and a Writing minor. Finally, I feel that I am in the right place.

I can’t prescribe a magic formula to finding the perfect major. I can’t even pin down exactly what cleared my own head about what I wanted to pursue. When it comes down to it, you will find what you want to do in your own way, in your own time. Yes, you will eventually have to make a decision, but thankfully it doesn’t have to be right away.

What helps is that Evangel actually offers ways to help you find your niche. The Frameworks program requires you to take classes in a variety of areas, so you’re bound to find something that interests you. Also, the faculty are always willing to take time to help you through your decision-making process. Evangel also offers interest surveys and strengths evaluations that help you learn more about what might be the right field for you. Most importantly, though, Evangel is a university that recognizes the importance of putting faith in the true Guide of our lives.

So don’t worry if you’re not sure about your major. If you put God at the front of your search, He will help you find your way, and He’ll do it all in His perfect timing. Two of my favorite verses are Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” Trust in the One who knows you better than yourself, and there is no way that you can do anything but succeed.

Want more? Check out all the academic programs that Evangel has to offer.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

2