Jesus Freak

Just call me Jesus Freak

September 20th, 2012 | Lauren Simms

In my Personal Leadership course, we’ve been talking about the vital importance of goals. One of my life goals is to lead as many people to Jesus as I can. Over the years, I’ve talked to a lot of people about God — but I remember one conversation in particular, and it happened to be with an atheist.

It was my sophomore year of high school in geometry class; he sat diagonal from me. One day, we were working on a project in class, and I invited him to an outreach my church youth group was having the following Wednesday. After smirking, he looked at me and said, “So I imagine you’re one of those Jesus freaks? I don’t believe in a god — I’m an atheist.”

I replied, “Can I ask you something?” After he said yes, I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind, “How can you not believe in something?” He stared at me and never answered. Before turning around, I looked at him with a genuine smile and said, “I may be one of those people you call a Jesus Freak — and you’re right, I love Jesus with my whole heart — but I’d much rather live my life believing He is real, than die and find out He isn’t.”

It wasn’t until the last day of school that he finally talked to me again: “At first I thought you were one of those Christians who went around preaching to everyone and acted like ‘Miss Goodie Two-Shoes,’ but actually you’re not. You’re the first Christian I’ve ever met who has practiced what she preached.” I don’t know what happened after that, and I don’t know if he ever came to know God; but I do know that in most cases, actions speak a lot louder than words.

I go by this quote: “Always preach the gospel, and when necessary use words” (author unknown, but often attributed to St. Francis of Assisi).

Sometimes, words are just words and the Bible is just a book, until someone sees the love of God in you. I would have loved it if he had come to me begging to know how he could have a relationship with God — but that wasn’t the case. However, I have never stopped praying that he will someday. Above everything, I do believe that I made a difference, and for the first time, he got to see a Christian who was everything she claimed to be: an imperfect Jesus freak.

Want more? Check out the variety of ministry opportunities that Evangel University has to offer.

Lauren Simms

Communication Studies Major | Class of 2013

Lauren, a Communication Studies major, is a commuter student from Springfield, Missouri. She is a work-study for Marketing Enrollment, a member of a START team, and an EU Student Host. She encourages students to study hard, get involved and enjoy every minute.

Register now for summer campus visits

2