Clock Tower

Stepping out in faith

September 25th, 2012 | Laura Prosapio

By Laura Prosapio

As  a preteen, I dreamt about the day when I could come to Evangel. Ever since I’d heard individuals from church speak about it so highly as a place to grow academically and spiritually, I longed to be a part of this college community. For my 13th birthday, I gleefully received a maroon Evangel t-shirt from a friend — and I wore it proudly.

My heart’s desire was to become a counselor one day, and I knew that Evangel would be the perfect place for me to grow in my faith as well as get a fantastic education. I enjoyed frequently browsing through the school’s website, looking at the classes I could one day take.

However, as I progressed through high school and started filling out college applications, I realized that college was a significant financial investment. I was confused and anxious, not knowing if my dream of coming to Evangel would be realized. Through my uncertainty and doubt, I made a choice to depend on God during this time. With empty hands, I prayed to the Lord that if Evangel was the place for me, the door would be opened; I prayed I would certainly know if I was meant to be a student here. I surrendered to Him my will, knowing that His will was best and trusted that He would make all things work together for my good.

Through ways only God could orchestrate, He has opened up the opportunity for me to be a student here and I am now a month in to my first semester.

No childhood dream or pondering compares to actually being a student on campus. This place is steadily becoming more like home to me. The bluest skies I have ever beheld, the Clock Tower playing sweet music, the calm and rustic library, the enriching classes, the smiling faces, and the God-encountering Chapel services — Evangel has been more wonderful than I ever imagined.

While I have only been here a short time, I know this is my launch pad to God’s calling for me. I know that minute-by-minute, as I pursue God with my whole heart, He will implant desires within me that will glorify Him. I look forward to opportunities not only to grow, but to serve. I am awestruck when I think about how when we pour out what God has given us, He is able to fill us up even more than before.

God has been faithful in my life — and His orchestrating the opportunity for me to come to Evangel has shown me what it means to be stretched and to be increased in my faith. I know that as we step out in faith, God will meet us at our level of expectancy. So as I begin this first semester of my college experience, I am stepping out in faith — knowing that as I surrender to God, these next four years will be the greatest adventure yet.

Want more? Read about Evangel’s admissions process and how to begin.

Laura Prosapio

Psychology Major | Class of 2015

Laura is a junior from Chicago majoring in Psychology. She has continued her high school passion for music by participating in Evangel’s Concert Choir. Her favorite thing about attending Evangel is living and learning with a community of believers who encourage her walk with God.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024