DSC_2844_2

This is the chance of a lifetime

September 28th, 2012 | Hope Hamilton

Driving down North Glenstone, and seeing the rows of brick buildings with their piles of colorful flowers for the first time (as an official Evangel student) was a surreal experience. The “Evangel University” sign was the most welcome sight of my college life. Getting from Florida to Missouri is hard enough, but getting to Evangel had more challenges than those presented by geographic location.

As any person who has moved from public school to private school has experienced, finances went from easy, to “Need to pray about this!” the moment I decided to attend Evangel.

College is not cheap, and just looking at tuition prices made my blood pressure rise. However, as soon as I was assigned a financial aid counselor, I began breathing more easily. I was directed to dozens of places to apply for scholarships and loans, and within days I was receiving responses and funding.

Evangel has tons of scholarships to choose from (or in my case, to apply for) and between department, private, and outside scholarships, there is no reason to sweat finances.

Of course, scholarships did not just fall in my lap; I had to apply for them, re-apply, and write long and beautiful essays a dozen times over. However, all my work paid off, and I will never forget the day where I realized “Hey! I can actually afford to go to a private Christian university!”

I am young and inexperienced, but my admissions, academic and financial aid counselors are not. They helped me through every step of getting to Evangel, and they have continued to advise me after my arrival.

Maybe you are where I was a few months ago — wondering if this is a possibility, or if you would be better off attending a cheaper state college? Perhaps for you the idea of an education involving a Christian worldview is nothing more than a distant dream …

Well as someone who has stood in your shoes, let me encourage you to not give up. No one can put a price on an education, and as far as a Christian one goes, words cannot explain what a world of difference it is.

Several times in the past week I have been brought to tears in my classes and in Chapel. The realization of what an amazing and priceless opportunity I’ve been given makes all the worries about finances fade. My professors know me and they pray with me; my counselors love me and and they have cried with me. Most importantly, my classes are all based on biblical understanding, and nothing can replace that.

I love being at Evangel, and no matter what factors I have had to overcome to arrive here, and what challenges I may face in the future, they are all worth it. This is the chance of a lifetime.

Want more? Read about Evangel’s tuition and cost, and check out some of the scholarships and grants that students can apply for.

Hope Hamilton

Advertising/Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Hope is a senior Advertising/Public Relations major with a minor in Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise. She is from Vero Beach, Florida, and loves people, the outdoors, music, worship and missions. Hope is currently the assistant director of outreach for Evangel's CROSSwalk student ministries organization.

2