scott

It takes two

October 4th, 2012 | Landon Johnson

The independence of college can leave one with feelings of regret, fear and, over time, possibly a decline in academic performance. Four years ago, as a freshman, I was in the same boat. Luckily, with every problem, comes a solution. For me, the solution was people. Knowing there is at least one person in the room who is in the same situation was just enough to put me at ease. For some that particular person could be a classmate or friend, but let us talk in literal terms — your roommate!

Your roommate is going to be there with you until the end. Seriously, whether you like them or not, you’re going to be stuck with them until the end of the semester. If all goes well, you’ll stay together even longer.  Hopefully, you’re like me and will have survived the first two months of the semester. I received a new roommate this semester.  It hasn’t been much of a challenge though, he is a great guy.  His name is David.  He has five brothers and sisters and was born and raised in Toronto. David’s parents are missionaries to the former countries of Yugoslavia (awesome, right?!?). He speaks five languages including English, and is majoring in broadcasting. With David, there’s never a dull moment. From watching T.V, or the converter as he calls it, to using the expressions “Aye,” he keeps me laughing. By the way, you haven’t heard weird until you’ve heard someone talking in their sleep — in Serbian!

A lot goes into the roommate pairing process at Evangel. Based off the responses of individual students, Pam Smallwood, Evangel’s director of housing, uses a computer system that will pair you with who you’ll be in close proximity with for at least nine months out of the year.

“I try to pair student based on characteristics that they find most important” says Smallwood.

Interestingly enough, the mutual interest of playing an instrument is a top-of-the-list factor at Evangel. In addition, when asked, guys of Evangel indicated spiritual journey and church activity as an important factor, while music genre is especially important in girls. Of course things like bedtime and study habits also play a part in who you’ll end up with.

My roommate is only one of the many interesting people who you’ll find along the sidewalks of Evangel’s campus, but there are about 2,000 other students who would also be a pleasure to meet, each having a different story that could change your life for the better.

So it’s getting to be my favorite time of the year — Autumn! The leaves are starting to change and pretty soon you’ll need a handy scarf to brave the breeze —  I can’t wait! Until next time everyone. Landon is outta here.

Want more? Take a look inside each of Evangel’s six residence halls to get a better picture of what living at Evangel is like.

Landon Johnson

Biology Major | Class of 2012

Landon is a Biology/Pre-Veterinary Medicine major from Henderson, Kentucky. He lives in Lewis Hall. He is involved with Lewis Hall Council, Worship Team and Activities Board. “The best thing about Evangel is that every day I get to do life with some of the most amazing people God has to offer."

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson