ICO-1

Inner City Outreach — just go!

October 8th, 2012 | Hope Hamilton

If you’ve read my previous post, you know I am new to Evangel. Being new is not easy for anyone, and for me, the thought of dropping out of all ministry and moving thousands of miles away where I had no connections, held little appeal. However, since arriving at Evangel, I have been surrounded by a hundred different opportunities — from social activities galore to dozens of ministry opportunities through Evangel’s CROSSwalk Student Ministries.

As someone who is used to being involved in pretty much every ministry I could find, I was so happy to find endless opportunities at Evangel!  One of the first ministries that stood out to me was Inner City Outreach.

Inner City Outreach, through CROSSwalk, is open to all Evangel students; however anyone in the Springfield area can get involved. ICO was founded four years ago by a man named David Sims. Sims had a vision for reaching out to the homeless and impoverished in Springfield and has done so successfully. ICO serves 16,000 free meals each year and has provided more than 150,000 pounds of free groceries.

Every first, third and fifth Saturday, a small group of Evangel students, led by student Chelsea Brookbank, goes to the Inner City Outreach warehouse, which is located a few miles from the school. Attending ICO is a great way to connect with other ministries and churches in Springfield which serve at and support ICO. But most importantly, it is a great way to serve those in need.

At ICO we pack groceries, serve hot meals and spend time praying with and loving the hundreds of impoverished families who attend every week. The work is very hands on and relational. In addition to the food, there is a brief message shared and people are given the opportunity to receive prayer or ask Jesus Christ to be their Lord.

The people at ICO have stolen my heart, and seeing the impact of this ministry has made me want to be there all the time. However, I shall be content with Saturdays.

Even if ICO isn’t for you, Evangel has dozens of other ministries you can get involved in. However, my advice for any students who haven’t attended ICO yet? Just go. It will change your life.

Want more? Check out all of the ministry opportunities that Evangel offers.

Hope Hamilton

Advertising/Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Hope is a senior Advertising/Public Relations major with a minor in Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise. She is from Vero Beach, Florida, and loves people, the outdoors, music, worship and missions. Hope is currently the assistant director of outreach for Evangel's CROSSwalk student ministries organization.

Register now for summer campus visits

2