Colourful Baloons

Parent Partnership: Celebrating special days when you live far away

October 15th, 2012 | Becky Spain

In the last few years, I have found myself in a very unique position, and I think it adds a lot of value to my role as director of retention.  Not only do I get to work with parents and students in regard to student success, but I am also the parent of a college student.  My son, Luke, is a senior here at Evangel.

This experience has been eye-opening in regard to my role on staff.  I see things from a different point of view than I did in the past when I wasn’t in this dual role.  I hope this unique perspective will help me to better serve both you and your student.

But Luke is not my first child to go to college.

I have a son, Jake, who is 10 years older than Luke, and he chose to go much farther away to college.

Thinking back on my experience of leaving my child miles away at school, I remember struggling with not getting to be there for special days like birthdays or other milestones that we would have celebrated together would he have been at home.  As Jake’s mom, that was kind of my special role — the cheerleader, the one who celebrated life’s many special moments.

Whether you are local or many miles away, I thought you would be interested to know that our dining staff here at Evangel offer some unique services that can help you celebrate those special occasions in your student’s life.  Aladdin Food Management is the on-campus vendor for all of our meals and catering services.  They offer customized gift orders for your student.  They say in their flyer, “Our job is to share your love when you can’t be here to do it in person.”

You can order cakes, cookies, specialty breads, fruit and veggie trays, birthday deluxe baskets, balloon bouquets, cards, gift cards, pizza parties and birthday party packages.  They will even throw a party for your student if you like. Check out the “Surprise Someone” gift-from-home package for more information on what you can send your student to help him or her celebrate any special occasion.

Want more? Please feel free to contact me if you ever feel your student needs help with issues they are facing on campus.

Becky Spain

Director of Retention

As director of the Office of Retention, Becky Spain works to identify common student obstacles and assists both students and parents through transitions and other challenges. She is also an adjunct professor, teaching courses such as Personal Finance and Personal Leadership.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics