EU's Got Talent Finals

EU’s Got Talent

October 26th, 2012 | Ian Richardson

Homecoming brings a hum of excitement to campus unlike any other time of the year. For students, the week loads a bunch of fun, unique activities from Monday all the way through Saturday night.

During homecoming I had the chance to listen to some great alumni guest speakers in Chapel and in class, participate in the school-spirited craziness of the annual pep rally, chow down on burgers and hot dogs at the annual Scott Hall midnight barbeque, and witness the semifinals and final rounds of one of my favorite events of the year, EU’s Got Talent.

This year’s EU’s Got Talent showcased professional-caliber performances by Evangel’s finest musicians, vocalists, songwriters and performers, not to mention an outstanding hosting job by my fellow blogger Landon Johnson

As Landon mentioned in an earlier blog, EU’s Got Talent: Do you have what it takes, the competition consists of multiple rounds where judges narrow the field of performers from 30 to 10 to 5. During the semifinals on Thursday and the finals on Friday, students and alumni alike packed into the Chapel to watch the performances. On Friday the audience got to be a member of the judging panel by voting for their favorite contestant via text message, just like on TV.

EU's Got TalentAs I sat back to enjoy the show, I was astounded at the variety of talent that we have here at Evangel. While the majority of the acts were musical in nature, they covered nearly the entire spectrum of musical genres. Rap, classical, folk, gospel, instrumental, pop, comedy — there was truly something for everyone. On Thursday I had the pleasure of cheering on two different musical acts done by guys from my floor, Scott 2nd South. The competition that night was tough, and while neither act made the cut for Friday, they were both outstanding.

During both of the Homecomings that I’ve now experienced here at Evangel, EU’s Got Talent has been a major highlight. I am always amazed at the many talents that God has given my fellow students. It causes me to realize anew that God has gifted each of us in some way. Not all of us may be performers, but there is a wide variety of ways for us to bring Him glory. So whatever you do, keep it up. And know that when you arrive on campus here at Evangel, there is a perfect place for you to use your abilities and get involved.

Want more? See lots of great homecoming pics on the Evangel Undergrad Facebook page.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2