tn-1

Not just another interview

November 5th, 2012 | Ian Richardson

One of the best parts about writing for the Evangel web site—aside from composing blogs for all of you fantastic readers, of course—is that I get to write articles about some amazing people and events connected to the Evangel community. In the process I have the opportunity to talk to several alumni, faculty and students, and sometimes there come moments when the people I write about bless and inspire me.

Recently, I was assigned the task of writing a profile for each of the Education department faculty members. Quick advertisement: if you haven’t read any of the faculty profiles on the site, I highly recommend them; they provide a more personal look at many of Evangel’s great professors. The new profiles I’ve been working on for the Education department will be coming in the next couple of weeks.

To gather information, I scheduled interviews with many of the Education professors. Handshakes, smiles and even a few candy dishes invited me into their offices. As I listened to their answers, I was amazed at some of the stories they had to share. In particular, asking what brought them to teach at Evangel brought accounts of how God had provided for their lives, nudged them through the Holy Spirit and orchestrated events that were too perfect to have been coincidences.

Conducting these interviews refreshed my awareness of two things. First, listening to these stories gave me a valuable reminder that God is still very much at work in the lives of His people. Stories of God’s actions reveal who He is, and hearing them can build our faith and strengthen our trust in Him.

These visits also gave me a glimpse into the hearts of these professors. Not only are they top-notch teachers, but they are fantastic people as well. I received a taste of how much each of them cares for their students. I was also encouraged by how much of a genuine interest they showed in hearing about my own life.

The time that the faculty here is willing to invest in the lives of their students is one of the characteristics that set Evangel apart from other universities. They are always ready to hear your stories and encourage you with their own. But whether you plan on attending here or not, I encourage you to talk to the Christians around you. Learn about what God has done in their lives, and I believe you will find encouragement and a boost of faith in the process.

Want more? Take a look at the profiles of some of Evangel’s alumni, faculty and students .

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson