flag

Election Day excitement

November 12th, 2012 | Ian Richardson

A wave of anticipation swept across Evangel last Tuesday. One glance at the campus lawn dotted with “VOTE” signs quickly explained why. It was Election Day, and for most of us students this Election Day was especially exciting. After all, you only get to vote in your first presidential election once.

Though I had voted in the 2010 election for Iowa’s governor, this year brought a fresh feel to the process. As I followed the party nomination races, voted in the primary, watched the debates and checked on the latest polls, I felt my actions take on a new importance. As I dropped my absentee ballot in the mail two weeks prior to the big day, I realized that this time I am no longer a spectator on the nationwide political sidelines.

In the weeks leading up to this special day, political awareness ran high all across campus. Evangel offered opportunities to register, read up on the candidates and attend debate watch parties (with snacks, I might add). When the day finally arrived, we first-time voters set campus abuzz with a flurry of discussions about the presidential race and conversations about when each of us was going to vote. Scott Hall even had an election night watch party (also with snacks), allowing us guys to witness the results together.

But while an election can enliven any college campus, Evangel’s take on the election was something that you won’t see just anywhere. The faculty encouraged us to pray about the nation and vote according to our values. Professors prayed over the election in class. Regardless of political preference, we were reminded of our duty as Christians to ask God to guide our nation. Finally, the entire campus united in prayer during Tuesday’s Chapel service. The opportunity to step back and reflect helped me put America’s Election-Day frenzy in perspective. I was reminded of who really has the whole world in His hands, able to rest in the security that no matter who got elected, He is still in control.

Looking back, my first presidential election was filled with some great memories of voting and of fellowship with friends. Most of all, I am thankful that I was able to spend the day in a Christian environment, one that takes the time to help me grow into a more complete individual and refresh my realization of how God is constantly working everywhere—even in politics.

Want more? Interested in pursuing a career in government? Want to learn more about politics? Check out the programs offered in Evangel’s Social Sciences department, as well as the brand-new Political Communication major offered in the Communication department.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

Find your schedule for EU Launch 2014

Launch_movein1

2