Thailand

A “major” decision

November 15th, 2012 | Laura Vallelonga

For many people, deciding what to major in is an intimidating decision. However, for me, this choice seemed to be a no-brainer. Since I was 14, I had always wanted to be a missionary. So without a second thought, I chose Biblical Studies and Intercultural Studies as my majors.

Now nearly halfway through my senior year, I have no clue what I am going to be when I grow up. It seems the stress my friends encountered during their freshman years concerning what they wanted to major in is finally catching up with me. What if I made the wrong decision? What if, all this time, I was supposed to be studying something else entirely?

I don’t know the answers to these questions, and I don’t know what I will be doing next year at this time.

However, something I do know is that my time here at Evangel hasn’t been for nothing. I have made lifelong friends, developed my critical-thinking skills, learned how to work closely with others who are different from myself, discovered that the world is a bigger place than what I originally thought, and the list goes on and on.

I have also learned that sometimes God directs our steps without showing us exactly where He is leading us.

Laura Vallelonga in Thailand

One of the Evangel experiences that impacted me most was the Asia Pacific Student Abroad Initiative (APSAI). I spent the spring of my sophomore year in Bangkok, Thailand, teaching English and learning Thai culture. This experience taught me that anything can be used as a ministry and that building relationships is extremely important.

So while I may not know the future, I am confident that He does. So in those moments of “What if?” and “What now?” I fall back on that knowledge and trust Him to reveal the future to me in His time.

Maybe you are like I was and have known for a long time what area of study you would like to pursue. Or maybe you will be like many of my friends who came in undecided and picked up a major along the way. Either way, I would like to encourage you. Decisions are hard to make, and sometimes I wish that I would have chosen things differently. However, at the end of the day, I am glad I chose something and went for it.

So, if you are getting ready to begin your college journey, be excited! This is a scary time in life because you don’t always know what’s going to happen next, but that’s also what makes it so exciting. Things may change during your  time in college, like they have for me, but that’s what life is all about — changing and growing and becoming closer to the person God has created you to be. When it comes to college, don’t be afraid of choosing the wrong major; be afraid of staying the same.

Whether you’re still searching or you absolutely know what it is you want to be, Evangel is a great place to start!

Want more? Evangel has more than 100 undergraduate programs to choose from. Check them out to see which ones interest you.

Laura Vallelonga

Biblical Studies and Intercultural Studies major | Class of 2013

Laura Vallelonga, a senior from Bridgeport, West Virginia, is majoring in Biblical Studies and Intercultural Studies. She lives in Burgess Hall and has been involved in Branched Out, the CROSSwalk Student Ministries dance team.

Register now for summer campus visits

2