SnowPrincess-2

Busy bee or free bird? Why you have time to get involved

November 15th, 2012 | Lauren Simms

I can’t tell you the last time I was a free bird. I’ve always said, “Why do one thing if you can do it all?”

My motto started in high school when I decided to join six different clubs in addition to yearbook and cabinet. I didn’t want to just be the girl who went to class. I wanted to get involved at the place where I was going to be for four years.

The same motto stuck when I entered Evangel. Gearing up for now my last semester at Evangel, I can say that I’ve stayed true to myself.

Currently on campus, I’m a student marketing assistant for Enrollment Marketing, an EU student host, a student blogger and a member of  the Forensics team. I’m also on the committee for Fashion Fever and a member of the START team. I’ve also worked as an assistant for Graduate & Professional Studies and been the Communication Department senator for ESGA Senate.

Off campus, I do the Silver Dollar City parades four nights a week and babysit on occasion. Plus, I’m taking 18 hours this semester while remaining on the Dean’s List.

Please know that this isn’t me trying to sound like Wonder Woman. It’s me trying to tell you that there is lots to be involved in at Evangel! And you should. Why? Because when you get involved, you’re given the key to a door of opportunities. You’re given the chance to make memories that you’ll remember forever, with people who will change you.

Student Host

If you come visit Evangel as a prospective student, your host may be student blogger Lauren Simms (right).

Now, you don’t have to join everything or even follow my motto; but ask yourself this: When you graduate from college, what do you want to be remembered for? Will they say, “I don’t know much about this student, except that they attended class.” Or will they say, “Man, this student made a difference!”

Whatever you do — be the best you can possibly be. Make the most out of every situation.

Sometimes being a free bird is nice, but where is that bird’s nest? If all I had was free time, then goodness, what would I do? For a while, I’d embrace being able to smell the fresh air and fly up above the clouds … but eventually, I’d miss my motto. Eventually, I’d really miss being a busy-bee.

Because even though both fly, only one has a plan — a plan to fulfill a purpose, be productive and make a home.

Lauren Simms

Communication Studies Major | Class of 2013

Lauren, a Communication Studies major, is a commuter student from Springfield, Missouri. She is a work-study for Marketing Enrollment, a member of a START team, and an EU Student Host. She encourages students to study hard, get involved and enjoy every minute.