Wong1

An insider’s view to the life of an RA

November 16th, 2012 | Shannyn Wong

When I applied to be a resident assistant (RA) last year and got the position, I had one thought: This will be the perfect job … I get to be the boss of an entire floor!

What could be better than being the boss of people and telling them what to do? In the moment, I thought nothing.

Now that I’m four months in, I wouldn’t trade a single day. Yes, I do get to be the “boss” of 38 girls; but more than that — I get to do life with 38 amazing girls! From day one, being an RA has never been dull. I make sure that everyone is safe when the fire alarm goes off at 12:30 in the morning. I’m a role model and a listening ear. I make sure I’m available to girls as they need me. I get to work with an incredible team of RAs who have become family.

But by far, my favorite part of the job has been the girls that make up Lewis Third North (that’s L3N in Evangel-speak).

There have been times of highs and lows, but most have been highs (sigh of relief) that have made this experience anything but boring! To some people being responsible for a floor of 38 girls would be overwhelming — but for me, it is a fleeting moment that I am holding on to. I am so blessed to walk through life with these girls and see them grow. Walking into this job I thought that I would be able to have this amazing influence on each girl, and while this may be true, I’m sure they are the ones who have had amazing influence on me.

Each day I am learning something new about a girl on my floor and I get see each one grow in so many ways that I feel like a proud mom. I have been able to see friendships formed, see girls pray for one another and, my favorite, hear laughter and witness lifelong memories being created.

It’s the moments of having girls in my room just to talk or going to floor events that really make up the community life of living in a dorm. I never thought that these girls would impact my life like they have, and it has been an unexpected gift and blessing.

Shannyn Wong

Advertising and Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Shannyn is an Advertising/Public Relations major from Loveland, Colorado. She is an RA in Lewis Hall. She encourages prospective students to seek God’s will for college.

Celebrating 100 years, impacting 100 more

100

Find your schedule for EU Launch 2014

IgNight_studentsonLawn