Brittany

A test of utter faith

November 20th, 2012 | Lauren Simms

Throughout the month of November, I’ve seen daily statuses on Facebook that share what people are thankful for. I haven’t taken part like most have, but today, I have a yearning to join.

Today in my Frameworks course, my professor, Dr. Joy Qualls, started the class out with prayer. However, before prayer, she told our class about Brittany Sylvester. Brittany is an Evangel student and just so happens to be in my Frameworks class. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I see her smile and her joy that is made known.

Today, I found out that Brittany is very ill and has been for a couple months. I sat in class like normal and heard the story of a girl who smiles through her miserable pain — the pain she fights through and never makes known to the class.

As Dr. Qualls prayed, tears ran down her face as they did mine; my heart broke. Brittany is handling something bigger than I’ve ever had to deal with. Something bigger than I’ve ever had to face.

The things I complain about hold no comparison. So, here’s my thankful status:

Day 19: I am thankful for all the things I take for granted, including my health. Thank you, Jesus, that I’m able to walk, hear, speak and see.

I don’t know Brittany very well, but I know that she is a beautiful daughter of God. I know that she is hurting, as are  her family and friends who care so much for her. I pray that God will heal her, and that He would show the doctors one of His impossible miracles.

I think of Matthew 11:28, “Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” I pray that as Brittany gives Jesus her biggest and her heaviest burden of illness, I pray that Jesus would completely heal her and give her rest. I pray that He would give her perfect health, so that she can speak of her test.

Because we all know that no testimony is complete without a test … a test of utter and divine faith.

Please join the Evangel University family in praying for Brittany Sylvester. You can follow her progress on the Facebook page: Pray for Brittany Sylvester and her family.

Lauren Simms

Communication Studies Major | Class of 2013

Lauren, a Communication Studies major, is a commuter student from Springfield, Missouri. She is a work-study for Marketing Enrollment, a member of a START team, and an EU Student Host. She encourages students to study hard, get involved and enjoy every minute.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson