Students from a variety of Christian backgrounds are united by their faith in Christ at Evangel.

All-hall Chapels

November 26th, 2012 | Shannyn Wong

Chapel services have long been a staple at Evangel University. Three mornings a week, all Evangel gathers in the Chapel auditorium to sing songs of worship and hear a message from God’s word. While Chapel services provide great times of praise and great sermons, there are many other outstanding opportunities we have to gather and worship God.

At various times during the week, Evangel offers smaller, optional services known as “alternate Chapels.” These services are hosted by a variety of student- or faculty-led groups and focus on a variety of subjects. My favorite alternate Chapel comes every month when each individual hall hosts a service for its residents.  In my opinion, nothing beats this opportunity to have a Chapel service with the students whom I share life with every day.

These “all-hall Chapels” are a one-of-a-kind experience. There is a feeling of vulnerability, and the presence of the Holy Spirit is unreal. The services provide a place of comfort while pushing students out of their comfort zones to experience Jesus.

Each all-hall Chapel features worship leaders who live in the residence hall, as well as a variety of guest speakers. My favorite guest speakers are my residence hall directors (RDs). I enjoy hearing them share from their hearts, and as cliché as this sounds, it makes our hall feel like a big, happy family.

Not only are we fed spiritually, but we also build community within our hall. Students, resident assistants (RAs) and the RDs are there to join in and experience Jesus together. It brings us closer as friends and as people who are pouring into the lives of others. It creates a sense of accountability, and it excites me to see how the Holy Spirit is working in other people’s lives.

I think that students really enjoy having these all-hall Chapels because the services are more intimate and personal. A special environment develops when you are with the people you are closest to and not surrounded by the entire student body.

I love being able to worship and hear sermons with the people whom I see day in and day out. For me, that is what makes all-hall Chapel one of the best times of the month, and it is just one example of the many special opportunities that students have to worship and draw closer to God here at Evangel.

Want more? Take a closer look at Evangel’s Chapel auditorium to get a taste of a typical Chapel service here at Evangel.

Shannyn Wong

Advertising and Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Shannyn is an Advertising/Public Relations major from Loveland, Colorado. She is an RA in Lewis Hall. She encourages prospective students to seek God’s will for college.

2