BassProRun

Runners united

November 26th, 2012 | Christina Jeter

On Sunday November 4th, Bass Pro held an Outdoor Fitness Festival Marathon Weekend, and a couple of Evangel University students joined the ranks of runners.

Laurin Werner, a senior at Evangel, decided to run in the Bass Pro half-marathon. A half-marathon is roughly 13 miles. Laurin heard about the race from her friend and fellow Evangel student Allegra Thowless, who had run the marathon last year.  Laurin has wanted to be a runner since she was little, and because this is her last year in Springfield, she decided to run the race! Ciara Artis, also a senior at Evangel, decided to run as well and provided Laurin with extra motivation.

After two months of training, Laurin is both thrilled and grateful to have completed a half-marathon. “Miles nine through eleven were hardest for me,” says Laurin, “but I was close enough to the finish that my own motivation and Ciara got me through it!” Laurin recommends running a half-marathon, especially if running is a personal dream; however, it does take dedication and time! This is not Laurin’s first race in Springfield, Missouri. She has also run the Cherish Kids 5K and 8K. If you enjoy the outdoors and running, Evangel is in the vicinity of tons of races like the Bass Pro Marathon Weekend.

One of the things I first noticed after coming to Evangel was the amount of 5Ks which take place all around Springfield. One of my favorite races is Silver Dollar City’s “Run to the Lights” in Branson. A few years ago, my friend Christina Hodum and I both participated in “Run to the Lights.” The experience is one I won’t forget. Races bond runners together. They can be enjoyable activities to do with fellow students at Evangel.

Runners are definitely provided for at Evangel University. Not only does Evangel have cross-country and track teams, but less motivated runners can find a generous supply of races happening all around Springfield!

Want more? Take a look at some of the other great things to do in Springfield, MO.

Christina Jeter

English and Theatre Major | Class of 2013

Christina is a missionary kid from Spain but considers Waxahachie, Texas her hometown. She is a commuter student double majoring in English and Theater. She balances her nerdy past times and shows with outdoor activities like soccer and bike riding.

Join the celebration for Homecoming 2014

Homecoming button