Getting involved and finding purpose

November 28th, 2012 | Laura Vallelonga

Last semester, during my junior year, I came to the conclusion that something was terribly off — I was missing something in my life, and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I remember going to bed at night and asking myself, “What did you do today that had any value?”  Many nights, try as I might, I just couldn’t pinpoint any one thing I had done that day of much real purpose. Sure, I was doing all right in college and I had a close group of friends, but I wanted more than that. I wanted to feel helpful and meaningful. I needed to start giving back more.

Back home, one thing I really loved doing was being involved with my church’s youth group. Anytime the doors were open, I would make it a point to be there. Whether it was going to services, helping out or even cleaning up after an event; I loved being a part of something bigger than me. With this in mind, I set out to become more involved with my home church here in Missouri — Ozark Assembly of God. Now nearly a year later, I am happy to report that I no longer feel so down on myself. I started helping out with youth group on Wednesday nights and going to small groups on Sunday evenings. In less than a year, I had the opportunity to get to know some amazing students, become involved and, more than anything else, I started to feel purposeful again.

When you make your way out to college, don’t run into the same wall I did. While it is important not to take on more than you can handle, I went too far in the opposite direction.  Instead of becoming overly involved, I didn’t get involved with much of anything at all. Luckily, the ways you can give back or get involved both on and off campus are nearly limitless. I chose to get more engaged with my church, but many of my friends also participate in things such as Convoy of Hope, Boys and Girls Club and various campus activities such as student government or CROSSwalk student ministry teams.

I have found that helping others, helps me too. So whatever you choose to do, choose to get involved with something that gives back and brings more value to your days. I dare you to find a more win-win situation!

Want more? Check out Evangel’s clubs and organizations to see several opportunities you will have to become involved both on campus and in the surrounding community.

Laura Vallelonga

Biblical Studies and Intercultural Studies major | Class of 2013

Laura Vallelonga, a senior from Bridgeport, West Virginia, is majoring in Biblical Studies and Intercultural Studies. She lives in Burgess Hall and has been involved in Branched Out, the CROSSwalk Student Ministries dance team.

2