Dr. Gary Martindale

Finding encouragement when I needed it most

December 14th, 2012 | Laura Vallelonga

I do not enjoy making schedules. So naturally, every semester I put class scheduling off. Not smart? Of course it’s not smart. I will be the first one to admit that I do not endorse my methods.

I have several friends who are the “scheduling” types, and they are far better off than I am. While I’m stressed out because I need to get into a specific class but it’s already full, my more-responsible friends are already registered and good to go. So, it’s no surprise to me that I put scheduling off this semester, too. Honestly speaking, I needed some help.

I needed help with making sure I met all my requirements for graduation and getting things signed but, most of all, I needed some encouragement.

I was feeling really discouraged and stuck. When I came into the office of my adviser, Dr. Gary Martindale I really did want to run away.

I didn’t want to make a schedule for next semester. I didn’t want to “figure things out.” I just wanted to quit.

Realistically speaking, I wasn’t really going to quit. However, I did feel pretty glum about my future. I don’t know what job I’m going to have next year or where I’m going to live. At this point, I don’t know much of anything.

Dr. Martindale listened to me but, more than that, he really cared. He gave me lots of examples of potential jobs I could get after graduation — from really practical ones to really ridiculous ones that made me laugh. He helped me go over everything and make sure all of my classes where in order. He prayed with me and asked for God’s help and direction in my life. Simply put, Dr. Martindale encouraged me right when I needed it the most.

I haven’t been to any other colleges, so I don’t know for sure what the professors are like elsewhere. All I know is that, at Evangel, they really care.

Whether you’re planning for the future or just need help in one of your classes they are there to listen and offer assistance. So as you begin your college journey, get to know your professors. They have a lot to offer and you never know when you just might need a little extra encouragement. When it comes to scheduling, I’m really not one to talk. All I know is I’m glad I have a great adviser who helps me and even endures my procrastination. Thank you, Dr Martindale!

Laura Vallelonga

Biblical Studies and Intercultural Studies major | Class of 2013

Laura Vallelonga, a senior from Bridgeport, West Virginia, is majoring in Biblical Studies and Intercultural Studies. She lives in Burgess Hall and has been involved in Branched Out, the CROSSwalk Student Ministries dance team.

Register now for summer campus visits

2