Memories with college friends

Moving away from home was the hardest — and best — thing I’ve ever done

January 8th, 2013 | Shannyn Wong

After a flight and a couple of hours driving, I finally made it back to school to start off a new semester.

Each time I return to school after a break, I can’t help but to think of the first time I moved to Evangel and said goodbye to my family and friends in Colorado. I am the type of person who loves to be at home and with my family and friends, so moving a couple of states away was something that I was not looking forward to when I decided to attend Evangel.

But despite my fears, God directed my path to Missouri.

I didn’t know anyone attending Evangel, and I didn’t know anyone living in Missouri. In the back of my mind I was thinking that if anything major would happen to me there would be no one close by … not only was this thought in my head but it was in my mom’s head, too.

I can remember like yesterday saying goodbye to my parents and watching them drive away from the Evangel campus with tears streaming down my face. It was one of the hardest days I’ve experienced. Moving away from home is one of the most difficult challenges that come with going to college, yet one of the most exciting.

You leave everything that is familiar to you and begin life on your own with new responsibilities and new demands. This can be a scary decision — I know it was for me — but it will be one of the best choices you will ever make. The culture at Evangel makes the adjustment to moving one of the easiest transitions. You make new friends, gain independence and learn to love the life you are creating at college.

I’ve been here at Evangel for two years now, and I don’t regret my decision to move here one bit! Each goodbye to return to school gets a little easier, I love the friends I have made, and I love the life that has been created for me while I have attended Evangel. Making the decision to move 15 minutes from home or 15 hours can be one that is trying on your mind and emotions, but let me assure you that you cannot move to a better place than Evangel, where you will meet great people and create some of the best memories of your life.

Want more? Students experiencing homesickness at Evangel have several options including mentorship from resident assistants and resident directors, discipleship leaders, and academic advisers — as well as free services from the Counseling Center.

Shannyn Wong

Advertising and Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Shannyn is an Advertising/Public Relations major from Loveland, Colorado. She is an RA in Lewis Hall. She encourages prospective students to seek God’s will for college.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024