Evangel University

Why I transferred to Evangel from a state college

January 14th, 2013 | Hope Hamilton

“Oh, you want to take that professor! He spends half the class on his guitar, the other half of class talking about why his drugs should be legalized, and will give you an A without making you do anything!”

This was just one of the many conversations I had with my classmates at the state college I attended before transferring to Evangel. Although it certainly does not accurately encapsulate the full state college experience, it helps to sum up mine.

The attitude was this: You’re here for a piece of paper that has your name on it, and it’ll take four years of suffering to get it.

Going to a state university does have its benefits. Most of the time I was at a state college I was dual enrolled in high school as well, and I was able to get my associate’s degree without paying a dime. Finances are most students’ chief reason for choosing a state college, and I understand why. Private universities are … expensive. State schools frequently have huge governmental aid programs, large institutions attached, and many times have made a great name for themselves.

So you may ask, “Why did you transfer to Evangel from a state school?”

The answer is twofold: First, I wanted a better education with hands-on, well-educated professors who would be active in my life. Second, I wanted a place where I could grow in my faith through every class and every relationship.

“Living in the Christian bubble is not going to better prepare you for life” is an argument I have heard from my dear state college friends, but I have found the benefits of attending a private Christian university far outweigh any possible downsides.

This is a short season of my life, and in this time I want to become as good at what God is calling me to as I can, while growing closer to Him, being surrounded by people of like-faith, and becoming involved in reaching needy people in the community.

No, in real life you aren’t always surrounded by Christians, but if you can take advantage of a season of intense growth and productive Kingdom relationships and connections, why not?

I chose Evangel because when I visited I saw the state-of-the-art Communication Department and was blown away by their dedication to having students who graduate and get good job. I also sat in on a class where the professor prayed for every student, and I later felt the Holy Spirit moving strongly in the Chapel service.

Since being at Evangel, I haven’t once regretted my decision to transfer, but have to the contrary thanked God every day for bringing me here.

For the first time in my college experience, I have relationships with my professors. I am learning valuable skills in my classes, and I am surrounded by open doors to minister to the community and create great relationships. I listened to God’s call to transfer — and as far as being a thousand miles away from home, and having a tuition that I can’t afford; God is taking care of me, and surprising me every day with his miraculous provision.

Hope Hamilton

Advertising/Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Hope is a senior Advertising/Public Relations major with a minor in Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise. She is from Vero Beach, Florida, and loves people, the outdoors, music, worship and missions. Hope is currently the assistant director of outreach for Evangel's CROSSwalk student ministries organization.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson