Fun with friends

Are Evangel’s rules too strict?

February 4th, 2013 | Ian Richardson

So you think Evangel is the college for you. But then, one day, you run across that section in the student handbook.

You know, Section IV. The one with all the rules. The one that lists everything you can’t do.  And then you’re not so sure what to think.

The rules of campus life are certainly an important factor to consider when weighing college options. And, I’m going to be honest, the rules at Evangel are more limiting than those at most secular institutions.

But are Evangel’s rules too tight? Should you let the number of guidelines and limits discourage you from choosing to come here?

From one student to another, I would have to say that the answer is no.

When I was considering different colleges, the last thing I wanted was to attend a school where I’d have to deal with drunken roommates and all sorts of immorality going on in the dorms. As I looked at the list of rules I had to agree to during the Evangel registration process, I realized that it was going to be a place where I probably wasn’t going to encounter a lot of that stuff. My first three semesters have proven that to be true.

One of my friends who attends a secular college wasn’t so fortunate. He had a tough time with his roommates during his freshman year, dealing with problems that are largely prevented here due to Evangel’s community standards.

Yes, sometimes it’s a bummer that you can’t watch a certain movie because of its rating or that you have to set your alarm to be ready in time for Chapel three days a week. But I see how those same rules help to keep our minds pure and then fill them with the Word of God.

So you may see how the rules are good for students, but can you still have fun? The answer to that is a big yes. There are so many opportunities to attend exciting events here, and in my opinion, you will find the activities that you can do on campus just as – if not more – enjoyable than some of those that you can’t.

So don’t be daunted when you look at that handbook. Trust me, once you get settled into campus life, I’m sure you’ll find that life within the rules is easier and more rewarding than you thought – and that the rules help make Evangel the kind of place we all want it to be.

Want more? Read the Student Handbook for more on Evangel’s community standards..

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2