Evangel

Lessening the load: How professors help in times of grief

February 7th, 2013 | Christina Jeter

Grief is tricky. Grief is a process, a messy one. If not carefully monitored, grief can be all-consuming.

On January 15th my grandmother passed away. I got a text from my mom after Chapel, asking me if I could come see my grandmother right away. I quickly explained the situation to my teacher, and he let me skip class. I arrived 15 minutes too late.

You’re probably asking, “What does this have to do with Evangel?”

Everything. You see, sometimes life doesn’t go our way. Sometimes life dishes out the unexpected. Death happens. Life happens. Injuries happen. Sickness happens. At Evangel the professors work with you when the unexpected happens.

When I had to skip class to see my grandmother, Mr. Smith recorded his lecture on video for me. When I fell behind in my classes, Mrs. Freisen, Mr. Smith and Professor Brannon worked with me and gave me time to catch up. The day after my grandmother died, my academic advisor, Ms. Vekasy, came up and hugged me.

Even now, almost a month after my grandmother’s death, my professors check up on me and monitor how I’m doing. Even now, they care about my life situation.

Yes, life can be unexpected, but at Evangel, you can expect the professors to help you through the unexpected. You’re more than a student in a desk at Evangel. You’re a friend. You’re a brother or sister in Christ.

Want more? Students dealing with grief can receive free counseling at Evangel’s Counseling Center.

Christina Jeter

English and Theatre Major | Class of 2013

Christina is a missionary kid from Spain but considers Waxahachie, Texas her hometown. She is a commuter student double majoring in English and Theater. She balances her nerdy past times and shows with outdoor activities like soccer and bike riding.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024