CampusVisit Laura Gummerman Outside 200 dpi

5 questions to ask on a campus visit

February 15th, 2013 | Hope Hamilton

So you’re thinking about coming to Evangel. Naturally, the first step in this life-altering decision should be applying (here’s a handy link to do that now); and the second, if possible, should be visiting the campus and witnessing the glory of Carl the Clock Tower and his friend Fred the Fire Hydrant (excuse my Evangel jargon — once you’re here, you’ll get it) for yourself.

Evangel is a magical land draped in joy and rainbows, and only occasionally sleeting rain, so you will not want to miss out on visiting before you make your decision. In all honesty and seriousness, it was the campus visit that sold me — even though it meant traveling more than 1,000 miles to get here.

So let’s just say you decide to visit and are connected with the amazing campus visit coordinator Lacey and a charming, hand-selected student host … what’s next?

In order to help you make the most of your visit to Evangel’s beautiful campus, I have compiled a very well thought out list of five things you should ask on your visit — think of me fondly when you ask them.

1.    Why should I come to Evangel?

Make it personal. While Evangel is an amazing school, it may or may not be the one for you. Tell your host or guide about your passions and talents, and ask how Evangel can cater to you, and why it is best fit to equip you to impact the world.

2.    What is your favorite thing about Evangel and Springfield?

Your hosts either are, or recently were, students at Evangel, and each one has a unique perspective of the school. Get to know them and the ins and outs of the school as well as you can. And don’t be afraid to ask about the community as a whole.

3.    Which hall should I live in?

There are stereotypes, but there are always exceptions. I think that’s because too many people don’t ask this question. How embarrassing would it be to be the only guy on the football team roomed in the girls’ hall? Okay, that won’t happen, but each hall has its own personality, and you may want to ask which one would be the best fit for you.

4.    How can I get involved?

Everyone will want you in their club, and your hosts will be no exception. Ask them about what they are involved in and which clubs and groups they think would be a good fit for you. Drain them dry of information about the dozens of great groups on Evangel’s campus.

5.    Take me to the food.

I did not word this as a question, and thus broke formation — my writing professors will be ashamed. But I digress. This is an important question: College students need food. Ask about the different meal plans, the options available for each meal, and which plan they think would be best for your schedule and habits.

If you ask these five and are still lacking in information, please don’t hesitate to ask, “Can you introduce me to Hope Hamilton?” I would love to meet you. But considering my current popularity, they probably will just respond “Who?”

Want more? Check out the campus visit schedule and register for one today.

Hope Hamilton

Advertising/Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Hope is a senior Advertising/Public Relations major with a minor in Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise. She is from Vero Beach, Florida, and loves people, the outdoors, music, worship and missions. Hope is currently the assistant director of outreach for Evangel's CROSSwalk student ministries organization.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson