Evangel University students at the Clock Tower

5 tips to help you survive your first semester of college

February 15th, 2013 | Shannyn Wong

As a new student at Evangel four years ago, there were so many things I wish somebody had told me ahead of time to make the transition to my new life a little easier. I want to make things a little easier for you. So here are some insider tips to make your adjustment go a bit more smoothly.

1. Bring toilet paper.

I know what you are probably thinking … toilet paper? A simple thing, but one that is often forgotten about (until you need it and it’s not there). When you are moving into the dorms, there’s the chance that at some point you will need to use the restroom — but  when you move in there is no complimentary roll of toilet paper. As you are packing up the car to come to Evangel, be sure to include some.

2. Ring by Spring? Forget about it.

The ongoing joke that you will hear more than once is that freshmen are here to give or receive “ring by spring.” I’m here to reassure you that if you don’t live up to the silly saying, life will go on. In fact, I actually encourage you not to get into a relationship your first semester because there are already so many changes, and to add a relationship is a little crazy.

Instead of searching for that ring, focus on building life-giving friendships and enjoy all the benefits of being a college student.

3. Speaking of friends … 

That first semester you will meet a ton of people, and you won’t even remember most of their names. Throughout the semester, your friend group will most likely change at least once. That is OK and to be expected. You will meet people the first week during EU Launch, then you’ll start bonding with people on your floor, then you will plug into your department and it will take some time before a solid friend group starts to gel.

This is exactly what happened to me, and in the moment I was freaking out about my friend group changing. But I had to tell myself that change is OK. Plus, the friends I have now I wouldn’t change for anything.

4. Get off campus once in a while.

One of the greatest things I learned in my first semester was to get off campus. Any chance you get to go do something that is off campus, go do it — whether it’s a quick trip to the mall, going to Starbucks to study, catching a movie or going bowling with friends. It’s nice to leave campus and take a breather from your room or homework. It also is a great way to bond with your friends and see Springfield.

5. Utilize everything.

And when I say everything, I mean everything. Evangel has great resources to help you succeed. If you need help to improve your writing, use the Write Place or the Academic Support Center. Use your professors to help you succeed in your classes and to get prayer (they’re great at that)! Go to events that Evangel has like HarvestFest, DVD Bingo and alternate Chapels.

One of the greatest resources you can go to is your RA (resident assistant). Speaking as an RA myself, we are here to help make your transition into college a little easier. We are here to pray for you, celebrate with you and to talk with you. In the giving department, Evangel doesn’t fall short.

Want more? Read more about how to make a successful transition into college life: 3…2…1… Liftoff! The essential EU Launch survival guide

Shannyn Wong

Advertising and Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Shannyn is an Advertising/Public Relations major from Loveland, Colorado. She is an RA in Lewis Hall. She encourages prospective students to seek God’s will for college.

Join the celebration for Homecoming 2014

Homecoming button