Monday Monday

Monday, Monday

February 18th, 2013 | Shonna Crawford

I teach several classes that meet on Monday. It doesn’t matter if it’s a morning or afternoon class, the students are always reminding me of the negative stigma of Mondays.

Each week this semester it seems I can hear in the minds of my students the gloomy bridge of The Mamas and The Papas song:

“Every other day, every other day.
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah.
But whenever Monday comes —
but whenever Monday comes
You can find me crying all of the time.”

In our society, we do hear that Mondays are to be despised because the beloved, over-glorified weekend is over. I’m always telling my students that I LOVE Mondays.  Monday is the day we start over, we get back on task, we return to the disciplines we have chosen for our lives. Monday is a great day!

With this in mind, I’ve started a Monday campaign in my classes.  Is my positivity strength taking over? Absolutely. So, yay, for Monday!  Embrace the day and make it great.

I’m immediately reminded of the very familiar verse, “This is the day that the LORD has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!” Psalm 118:24. If we look at that verse in context, it tells us that Jesus is our salvation, our cornerstone. When our focus is truly on the Lord, every day is a great day to rejoice and be glad. This chapter of Psalms goes on to say in verses 25-27a:

“Save us, we pray, O Lord!
O Lord, we pray, give us success!

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!
We bless you from the house of the Lord.

The Lord is God, and he has made his light to shine upon us.”

Don’t waste 1/7 of your life … Embrace each Monday. Make it a great day! I will be praying that the Lord would give our Evangel students success, that they would shine and be blessed on MONDAYS and every day.  Let’s hear it for Monday! So, I’m loudly singing a different part of that The Mamas and The Papas song:

“Monday, Monday, so good to me;
Monday morning, it was all I hoped it would be.”

Ok, who sings The Mamas and The Papas anymore?  I know! But, hopefully, laughing about me singing the “oldies” will get your next Monday off to a great start.

If Monday mornings are tough for you, stop and pray:

“Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.” Psalm 90:14

Hooray for Monday! But, more than that, hooray for the Lord who gives us each day of the week to shine for his glory!

Shonna Crawford

Assistant Professor of Education (Literacy)

Shonna Crawford has always loved school. Between graduating from Evangel in 2000 and returning as an assistant professor of education in 2011, Crawford spent time teaching elementary school, received her Master in Reading degree and worked for the Missouri Reading Initiative.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics