Chapel service

5 ways to get plugged in spiritually at Evangel

February 27th, 2013 | Laura Prosapio

Evangel offers many opportunities for you to grow closer in your walk with God. I’ve only been here a little over one semester, but I can look back at my where I was in my spiritual walk in high school and see how much I have grown in Christ since my journey at Evangel began.

I wanted to give you some tips that have helped me get plugged into the spiritual life here at Evangel.

1. Enjoy the 3-day-a-week Chapels.

So many opportunities have been presented to me by attending Chapels. I have had the privilege of listening to the vision of various pastors, the passion of missionaries and tips on how I can put my faith in Christ into action. With powerful worship at the beginning of each service, it is amazing to enter into the Lord’s presence and worship Him for who He is and all He has done. If you choose to engage fully in Chapel, you will learn and be blessed beyond what you could imagine.

2. Plug into a local church.

There are many wonderful churches in the Springfield area for you to explore and become a part of. I have had the opportunity of visiting a church with a congregation of more than 1,000 people and also had the wonderful experience of worshiping in a church family of 50 people. It has been so exciting to explore different churches and see the Lord’s presence be so full in each place. Ask yourself not merely how you can benefit from the congregation you’re seeking, but also how you can get plugged in and serve. This opens up so many opportunities for God to use you and work through your testimony.

3. Don’t miss floor devos and hall Chapels.

Relationships with individuals on your floor and in your hall are so valuable. They’re the individuals you “go home” to. They are there to uplift you, pray with you and encourage you to keep seeking Christ. Something that has been extremely valuable for me is to go to floor devos each week and to be a part of what God is doing in the lives’ of the girls on my floor. Also, once a month, we have “All-Hall” Chapel services with a time of worship and a guest speaker. These have been very personal, and allow you to praise God with the girls in your hall.

4. Seek out friendships that will challenge you to grow deeper in your relationship with Christ.

It is so  important for you to invest in friendships that have Christ at the center. God has intended friendships to build you up. Don’t shy away from conversations about what God is doing in your life. Vulnerability with those around you is necessary for them to be able to pray for you and encourage your growth. Choose close friends who will encourage your relationship with God, not discourage your passion. You will be blessed as you invest in their lives as well.

5. Make sure to invest in personal time with God.

It is so important to spend time seeking God’s guidance and listening for His voice. Even though you’re in a Christian environment with many amazing resources to grow in the Lord, it is vital that you invest in reading the Bible in your own quiet time — seeking what He wants to reveal to you. As God fills you up in this personal time, He will reveal His plan and purpose for you. As He fills you up, He will allow you to be poured out for His glory.

Want more? Read more about the vibrant spiritual life at Evangel.

Laura Prosapio

Psychology Major | Class of 2015

Laura is a junior from Chicago majoring in Psychology. She has continued her high school passion for music by participating in Evangel’s Concert Choir. Her favorite thing about attending Evangel is living and learning with a community of believers who encourage her walk with God.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024