Dorm life

Living on campus — my biggest fear became my greatest memory

March 3rd, 2013 | Shannyn Wong

One of my biggest fears about going to college was living on campus. I was scared about getting put with a crazy roommate, sharing personal space and getting bored with living in a dorm.

But despite my fears, I moved onto Evangel’s campus expecting the unexpected. I quickly learned that living on campus is what would make my college experience.

Living on campus exposes you to the true culture of a school. There is always something happening on Evangel’s campus whether its an Activities Board event, a basketball game or a hall function. Evangel makes it a priority to provide opportunities for students that offer a break from studying. The extracurricular activities are open to all students — but living on campus makes things more accessible, and it is a lot easier to grab your friends and head over to the latest activity.

As much as I love all the organized events, my favorite thing about living on campus is the dorm life. Ironically this is the part that scared me the most about college,  but it has turned out to be the thing I love most!

Thankfully, I wasn’t put with a crazy roommate my first year. She actually is one of my best friends. I live on a floor with 35 other girls and to say that we share a hallway is an understatement. We eat together, go to class together, pray together, and anything else you can think of, we do together. The people who you live with on campus become family and the relationships that are built can’t happen any other way than when you live on campus together. The depth of the friendships that I have gained is life changing!

Living on campus is what has made my college experience memorable. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Whether you decide to attend Evangel or not, I encourage you to embrace living on campus and make the most of all the events and opportunities around you. I’m confident you’ll make friends who will stick with you for life!

Want more? Read more about living in Evangel’s residence halls.

Shannyn Wong

Advertising and Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Shannyn is an Advertising/Public Relations major from Loveland, Colorado. She is an RA in Lewis Hall. She encourages prospective students to seek God’s will for college.