desktop

The Communication Department family

March 25th, 2013 | Hope Hamilton

All students think their department at their respective university is the best — I’m here to have the final say, with no partiality or bias, on which college and department may take that award home: Evangel University’s Communication Department. Actually, I’m here to influence all prospective communication major, or even undecided major students to consider my beloved university and department.

In Evangel’s Communication Department, you will only find state-of-the-art, cutting-edge technology, an atmosphere of family and love and some of the greatest professors on Evangel’s campus. This is one place where every student is guaranteed individual attention and a thorough education in all things communication.

When I first stepped foot onto Evangel’s campus, I didn’t know a soul here. During EU Launch, the week of fun-filled activities scheduled for new students every year, students meet with their academic department and academic adviser. My academic adviser is Nancy Pace-Miller, and there is no way I could do her any justice with this simple blog, but here I shall try.

“I love you already,” Pace-Miller told me as she cried and prayed with me … on day one. I was totally unprepared to be welcomed with such warm, open arms, but it was those tear-filled blue eyes warning me of the loneliness that was soon to ensue, the open arms which told me I was welcome any time and the sincere prayer for my future that was given in her office that day that made Evangel my home.

What I didn’t know then was that Pace-Miller is a central part of the Communication Department. She is the head honcho of Excalibur, Evangel’s yearbook, which I now have the privilege of writing for, and she has since taught several of my favorite communication classes. She has opened not just her office, but her home, heart and arms to me and my fellow students. She never ceases to amaze me with her knowledge of the art of communication, her down-to-earth style of teaching and love for her students.

I could go on all day about the beauty and intelligence of dear Pace-Miller, but that would only show you a slice of why the Communication Department is so great, so I’ll proceed with the other fantastic professors.

The chairman of the department, Dr. Pace, knows so much about all things communication it’s scary. Dr. Kelton is absolutely hilarious and brilliant; Chip Stanek and Gabe Mays are our resident technology wizards/professors, who are always willing to help their students with any project, even when it means taking hours out of their day. Miss Booze is a delight to all, and knows writing inside and out. And, last but not least, the administrative assistant Mrs. Wanda Potter is a helpful source for any information or form, and also the person to shamefully turn in late work to.

This is my family. This is my little world, and yes, I am proud.

There is always a place to get involved in the department. We have ECTV, KECC Radio, EU Films, the forensics team, Crusader Media, The Lance (Evangel’s newspaper) and Excalibur. Whether you are a pro or a total newb at graphic design, broadcasting, journalism, film, advertising, photography, public speaking or any other communication-related skill, there is a niche for you in Evangel’s Communication Department.

All learning is taught hands-on, and you have my word as a communication student that you will either LOVE the professors and classes in this department, or you were not meant to be a part. If you don’t like fun or family, I would recommend another department — but here I can promise the best four years of your life, learning everything you need to get a job doing what you love.

Want more? Check out all the academic programs Evangel’s Communication Department has to offer.

Hope Hamilton

Advertising/Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Hope is a senior Advertising/Public Relations major with a minor in Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise. She is from Vero Beach, Florida, and loves people, the outdoors, music, worship and missions. Hope is currently the assistant director of outreach for Evangel's CROSSwalk student ministries organization.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2