Students from a variety of Christian backgrounds are united by their faith in Christ at Evangel.

Baptist? Lutheran? Non-denominational? No problem!

April 9th, 2013 | Shannyn Wong

A frequent question that students ask when looking at Evangel is if they have to be from an Assemblies of God (AG) background to attend. In fact, it was a question that I once had.

The answer is no.

When I came to visit Evangel, I was concerned that not growing up AG would be a hindrance to my education and to me connecting with other students. What I have come to know and love about Evangel is that not growing up AG doesn’t matter at Evangel.

Many of the students who attend Evangel are AG, but many are not.

Here are a few facts directly from my friends in the Admissions Department: 60 percent of Evangel students are from an Assemblies of God background, and 40 percent are from other Christian backgrounds. All Evangel faculty are members of the Assemblies of God because the college is a national Assemblies of God university. However, they welcome and respect students of various denominational backgrounds.

I have had classes with students who grew up Baptist or Lutheran … or didn’t grow up in church at all. To be honest, I don’t feel any different from those who grew up AG, and there is nothing that physically distinguishes which denomination each person associates with.

In some classes you will learn about the history of the Assemblies of God, but you will learn more about the history of Pentecostalism. As I have gone from class to class, attended Chapel, and made friends, I have found few differences in AG theology and the theology that I grew up with.

I find that we have a ton more things in common than we do differences, and the thing that brings us all together is that we all love Jesus and acknowledge what He did for us.

One thing that I like about attending Evangel is that I have learned many things about the AG that have encouraged me to do some of my own research to see why I believe what I believe, and it has helped me grow tremendously in my own walk with the Lord. It is so easy sometimes to believe what your parents believe or what your church has taught you, but when you attend a school where some of the things you learn about are new or differ from your theology it encourages you to seek out why you have a different belief or why you believe what you do believe.

College is the perfect time to stretch your mind and grow in your faith, and I have found Evangel to be the perfect place to do both.

Shannyn Wong

Advertising and Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Shannyn is an Advertising/Public Relations major from Loveland, Colorado. She is an RA in Lewis Hall. She encourages prospective students to seek God’s will for college.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2