HarvestFest

How do Christian college students have fun?

April 11th, 2013 | Hope Hamilton

Do people in college have time for fun? What about students at private Christian universities?  How about Evangel? Yes. The answer is that simple. (Well, except for your occasional biological chemistry-mathematics-prelaw triple major, but every campus has one or two of those … you know who you are.)

Trust me, the students at Evangel know how to live it up.

When I first arrived at Evangel, I was astounded by how many ways people here find to have fun. My friends and I are always setting out on one adventure or another, and there’s really no knowing where the next one might lead.

If you’ve read many of the other student blogs then you may have already heard about some of the fun things us studious EU students do (other than study of course).

“Let’s go caving!” is not an uncommon phrase to hear, and it’s usually coupled with the countering opinions of those who are adventurous and those who are … less adventurous. There are dozens of beautiful hiking locations in the Ozarks, all a short drive from Evangel’s campus. As a new student, I joined Evangel’s Outdoor Adventure Club, so personally hiking has become my favorite way to hang out with friends while getting away from homework and campus for a bit.

There is also a variety of theaters in the Springfield area, and that includes every Springfield college student’s favorite theater, The Palace, which shows relatively new movies for no more than a few dollars every day.

Other ways I’ve found to have fun with my friends at Evangel include random runs to Andy’s for frozen custard, long walks to Taco Bell or any of the close Chinese restaurants on Sunday nights, ever eventful runs to Wal-Mart or Target, shopping at the Battlefield Mall, and going to visit the local laser tag place, because who doesn’t want to track down and shoot their friend in a huge black light-lit arena?

Of course there are always fun things going on at Evangel’s campus too. Activities Board is always throwing another spectacular event such as SpringFling, HarvestFest, DVD Bingo, and Mr. AG. Some of my other favorite annual campus events have included Fashion Fever, the gingerbread house building competition, movie in the Mabee and all of the theater department’s excellent productions. And there are always plenty of student recitals and concerts to attend — and trust me when I say EU students have got some talent.

I know some of these events just sound like foreign names to any non-EU student readers, but to me they each represent precious memories I will carry with me forever. I have made some of the greatest friends at Evangel, and I know they will be lifelong friendships the like of which you don’t stumble upon every day.

There is an endless train of events and trips and memories waiting to be made at Evangel. If you’re not here already, what are you waiting for?

Want more? Read up on Evangel’s Student Life page on the website, then hook up with the Evangel Undergrad Facebook page to connect with news and photos of what’s currently going on around campus.

Hope Hamilton

Advertising/Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Hope is a senior Advertising/Public Relations major with a minor in Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise. She is from Vero Beach, Florida, and loves people, the outdoors, music, worship and missions. Hope is currently the assistant director of outreach for Evangel's CROSSwalk student ministries organization.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics