Lance Night

Life outside the dorm

April 11th, 2013 | Ian Richardson

I’ve always been the kind of guy who could sit behind the closed door in my room and spend all day reading a book or writing a paper. Kind of like a real-life Bilbo Baggins: cool with a relatively low level of adventure and social interaction.

But this semester, I did something that shook me out of my little hole in the Shire.

I joined the newspaper staff.

In previous semesters I’d contributed a few movie reviews and a couple other articles to The Lance, but after changing my minor to Journalism last year, I figured it would be good to get my feet a little wetter. So, I applied for the position I thought best fit my English expertise: copy editor.

After doing the fact-checking and proofreading for a couple issues, I began taking on some article assignments as well. And life has been a whirlwind ever since. But it’s been a good whirlwind.

Unlike my English writing, which can be done from the quiet of the library or the solace of my room, my introduction to journalism has required me to go outside the walls and talk to people. Lots of people. Some of whom I’d never met before.

And with each interview, I have felt myself grow stronger socially, more sure of myself. The sweaty-palmed, quavering-voiced reporter has begun to give way to a person who knows what questions to ask and how to keep control of the conversation. I’ve had the opportunity to speak with all kinds of people, from fellow students to gospel music legend Bill Gaither – my interview with the latter being three minutes of my life I will never forget.

The Lance has also helped me make a whole group of friends whom I probably never would have gotten to know otherwise. And trust me – spending upwards of ten hours together every Wednesday night really helps you get to know each other.

In the end, joining student media has been a great choice for me. It’s challenged me to break a little bit more out of my shell and become involved with some fantastic individuals – not to mention it has given me some great writing samples and resume material.

While you will make friends in your classes and in your residence halls, I encourage you to get involved in something during your time at Evangel. Whether you’re a journalist on student media, a tutor in the Humanities Department or something else, there’s sure to be something right down your alley. If you’re like me, it will not only give you fantastic experience, but it will also help you get out of your dorm and form relationships as well.

Want more? See some of the ways you can get involved at Evangel by checking out the Clubs and Organizations page.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

2