Lauren Simms and President Robert Spence

Robert Spence — the president who will always have my vote

April 29th, 2013 | Lauren Simms

Last Friday was undoubtedly a time of transition.

I sat in B-F-7 for the last time … in the last Chapel service I will ever attend as an undergraduate student. I looked over to my right at President Spence, who sat four rows in front of me.

I thought about the transition that he is experiencing, as Evangel prepares to consolidate with Central Bible College and Assemblies of God Theological Seminary. I thought about the students at CBC, who were — at that very moment — sitting in the last chapel that CBC will ever have.

Friday was a part of history, not just for me but for all of us.

In the middle of my deep thoughts, President Spence was called to the stage to give some insight on the consolidation, and what his role would be in the upcoming year. I looked around me, at my fellow classmates, and all eyes were on the man of God standing before us. As he gave his final closing, he ended with two simple words: “Thank you.”

Emotion grew thick in his tone and in his heart, and as it did, tears splattered down my cheeks.

He received a standing ovation from the audience. They applauded for a president who has invested in every aspect and in every student at Evangel for nearly 40 years. They applauded for a president who prays with anointing and cares without ceasing. They applauded for a president who showcases humility and who is worthy of recognition.

Campus Pastor John Plake had told us at the beginning of the service that the transitions we face are for the sake of God’s mission. “The transitions you face aren’t accidents; they’re ordained by God.”

Transitions can be hard and challenging, but they can also be wonderful and exhilarating. Graduation is quickly approaching, and my time of transition is almost here. Like a video camera captures moments to create a feature film, my time at Evangel University has created a solid educational and spiritual foundation.

I watched President Robert Spence walk down the steps of the Chapel stage — with cheers and sniffles filling the air — and I prayed.

I prayed that my life would proclaim Jesus and utter joy, like his. I prayed that I would always serve wholeheartedly, and I prayed that I would always go out of my way to bring shining light to the hollow darkness, like he does.

I prayed that I would leave a legacy, and that my life would change someone else’s — just like the president who changed mine, forever.

Want more? Watch the EU Video Blog from the Class of 2013′s final Chapel service.

Lauren Simms

Communication Studies Major | Class of 2013

Lauren, a Communication Studies major, is a commuter student from Springfield, Missouri. She is a work-study for Marketing Enrollment, a member of a START team, and an EU Student Host. She encourages students to study hard, get involved and enjoy every minute.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics